Summer is on its way

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Summer is on its way

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, I do like 50 overs match. There is a result almost all of the time and match is enjoyable and exciting most of the times. Some times, do miss test matches, properly dressed in white kits, mostly a draw, match ending with gentlemen's hand shake.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Easter is always a meteorological low point I reckon. A triumph of hope over experience. Year in year out I expect it to be the start of spring and get seduced by summery colours either in the back of my wardrobe or my favourite (expensive) shop....but it is always b****y freezing and I end up looking daft and feeling dafter in pale shoes and floaty shirt and wishing I'd kept the fur-lined boots and proper cardigans out a little longer. Say, till the end of July.

Cricket - I am looking forward to a few days at test matches with the kids over the summer. One of my very few nods to either organised sport or mass participation events. And the radio commentary is such fun too - I love the way people at the matches still plug the radio commentary into their ears because it is often so witty. My family are not purists and two members (not this one) are planning to get up early and watch tomorrow's final. One is even playing now, in the rain. I have just put the heating on.

An don't even get me started on the farce of "British Summer Time". My body clock is too old for this malarkey.
doodles

Post by doodles »

With you on the what to wear dilemma Amber, I just don't possess that "transitional" wardrobe that the magazines in the dentist waiting room keep bleating on about :D

Despite being rugby fanatics in this house we love the cricket in all formats but the radio commentary wins every time.

I've also just realised that I'm 50 8 weeks today so I think I might just go and hibernate until my wardrobe is back in sync with the weather ........
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:With you on the what to wear dilemma Amber, I just don't possess that "transitional" wardrobe that the magazines in the dentist waiting room keep bleating on about :D .
I understand there are special shops for that kind of thing, Doodles. :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not ones I'd go into Amber! Ever since, many years ago, a posh underwear shop assistant said to her colleague "don't think we've got anything in her size" :oops: I've favoured nice anonymous chainstores and catalogues!!!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote:Easter is always a meteorological low point I reckon. A triumph of hope over experience. Year in year out I expect it to be the start of spring and get seduced by summery colours either in the back of my wardrobe or my favourite (expensive) shop....but it is always b****y freezing and I end up looking daft and feeling dafter in pale shoes and floaty shirt and wishing I'd kept the fur-lined boots and proper cardigans out a little longer. Say, till the end of July.

Cricket - I am looking forward to a few days at test matches with the kids over the summer. One of my very few nods to either organised sport or mass participation events. And the radio commentary is such fun too - I love the way people at the matches still plug the radio commentary into their ears because it is often so witty. My family are not purists and two members (not this one) are planning to get up early and watch tomorrow's final. One is even playing now, in the rain. I have just put the heating on.

An don't even get me started on the farce of "British Summer Time". My body clock is too old for this malarkey.
I have watched and listened to many cricket games in all its formats on the TV and radio. I have only attended a few international games and no county games. It came as a shock to find the amount of alcohol consumed at this gentleman's game. Whereas I have attended numerous premier league games over the years and in comparison attendance at these in what used to be a working class sport is a relatively sedate affair.

I look forward to the football and wonder what to do when the season finishes. This year there are no world cups or European championships. I have to console myself with Wimbledon and the grand prix's probably spend a lot of time on the football dvd's. Wife thinks I go into a form of shock in the summer.

Even the rugby normally finishes for the summer although I played the league version at school, it was the union version at sixth form and university. So I couldn't even watch these games previously. But I had forgotten league games are now played through the summer and we have the rugby union world cup this summer

Don't talk to me about wardrobes my family tells me I will wear t shirts, short sleeve shirts and shorts in the winter and jumpers in the summer. What's the harm if other people think you are eccentric and unconventional. Should I dress for others or for myself?
Last edited by quasimodo on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sorry, now we need a 'transitional wardrobe'????!!!!

Oh my word, I'm so behind, I don't even pack away my winter or summer gear! Seems little point here!
Mind you, my good housekeeping magazine will still recommend a jaeger blazer, some 'not your daughter's jeans' and a pair of biker boots from LK Bennet, whatever the season!! :x
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is true that some people consume enormous quantities of brown liquid at cricket internationals but I have never witnessed any bad behaviour at all. They just have to keep getting up to go to the loo when nature takes its course. And being cricket, they don't get up or sit down until the end of an over.

I don't think you got what I meant Doodles. I was being a bit mischievous with the word 'transitional'. The sort of shops I was referring to cater specifically for the larger physique, as it were. :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry Amber, being a bit duh! here today. Got a larger physique as well as no seasonal change wardrobe :D :D so I get it wrong on both fronts but at least it's cheaper - just do a nice line in cardis!!!!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Winter is on its way.An hour extra in bed and the clocks being wound back.Hard to believe two and half years have passed by.Another six months to wait before I and others can wax lyrical about the new oncoming summer.Surprising how many people get depressed by the dark nights and the lower vitamin D levels.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln