Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosapiens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosap

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:First world problem.
:lol:

Don't we share about 70% of our DNA with wasps as well? The one trying to make a nest in my roof using wood from my expensive steamer chair, pulped in its nasty buzzy little proboscis will find its rights taken away quite swiftly if it doesn't change tack fairly soon.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Pretty sure we share 60ish % of our DNA with bananas. (Source Prof Stephen Jones).
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

The only animal other than humans that should be given legal rights are cats especially those with different coloured eyes, they are fiercely independent, and if provoked can hiss, bite , scratch and attack without warning . :wink:

The Mad Cheshire Cat
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote:Don't we share about 70% of our DNA with wasps as well? The one trying to make a nest in my roof using wood from my expensive steamer chair, pulped in its nasty buzzy little proboscis will find its rights taken away quite swiftly if it doesn't change tack fairly soon.
Hope they are wasps and not bees.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014050 ... nt-extinct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Maybe all this is bananas or it may demonstrate why some have more of a connect with the planet and the life around them.Certainly for the religions from the east who have reincarnation as one of there central concepts rather than the linear religions which originated from the middle east may have a basis for a different thought process.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes thank you, I do know the difference. And despite being very allergic to wasp stings I'd never kill one of the little b*****s.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote:Yes thank you, I do know the difference. And despite being very allergic to wasp stings I'd never kill one of the little b*****s.
I sympathise my elder sister has to carry her injection at all times as a wasp bite could be fatal.I spray the rooms in the summer when she comes as we have plenty of bees and wasps come into the house.I am guilty. I did burn out a wasps nest in the garden a few summers back. Am I a hypocrite?

I wont go into the many wasps which are pollinators.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Just been watching the fascinating BBC2 programme about Koko the gorilla who appeared to communicate in sign language to a human being and vice versa.If a gorilla who appeared to be intelligent and sensitive can do this why shouldn't there be developments in rights for gorillas,chimpanzees and other primates.We as human beings are developments of evolution and it doesn't mean we share exclusivity to the attributes that make us human and as to what will develop from us and other species.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07gxpd7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/1 ... left-alon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Your concern for our Simian cousins is admirable. I wish some of our Sapien brothers and sisters could have the same concern for our Syrian cousins .
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04 ... ve-in-god/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are we all just naked apes?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:Your concern for our Simian cousins is admirable. I wish some of our Sapien brothers and sisters could have the same concern for our Syrian cousins .
Hi C,

What I find fascinating are the legal fights across the world and the changing science in the last 20 or so years in relation to intelligence in some animals.This shouldn't come as a surprise to those who appreciate Darwinian evolution by not creating divides between humans and the rest of evolution.We are not special or distinct in that sense let alone on this planet or wherever there may be life on the billions and billions of planets out there.

Really enjoyed the non human rights project in the USA trying to extend the definition in the writ of Habeous Corpus of persons to chimpanzees and elephants.The definition has covered humans,corporations,rivers, idols and books across the world.The story on BBC i player 2015-16 on Storyville "Opening the Cage" was very illuminating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... p=p02q33dg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now