Nepal

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Nepal

Post by Guest55 »

Surely you know 1 Briton takes 'news' precedence over virtually anything.

The amount raised so quickly shows people can understand the need even if the press get it wrong (again).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Especially if it some form of celebrity.
:(
Amber

Post by Amber »

And on the same page (ie well before any mention of actual Nepalese people dying, which doesn't come until page 31, and then only because one got killed by the rotor blade of a helicopter which had come to rescue Israeli tourists, not locals):
'Race to save death row grandmother'.
with a photo of said grandmother weeping against the bars of a prison cell in Indonesia.

As in, a 58 year old British woman caught smuggling 5kg of cocaine into a country where such things attract the death penalty, now faces being shot. The use of the word 'grandmother' and the fact that we are 'racing' to save her when people are dying by the thousand in Nepal makes me want never to read a newspaper again.
solimum

Post by solimum »

While I agree the coverage is often crass in its lack of balance, it is also very human in the face of such overwhelming tragedy that we look for a personal connection, however slight- it is an expression of feeling connected at some level. Whether it's " we went there last year" or "I've flown on that same air route" or " someone from the same school/church/town has been killed/injured/miraculously spared" it somehow brings the awfulness a little closer, and hopefully prompts the wider generosity towards the nameless thousands we don't know.

It's perhaps similar to my recent experience visiting WWI battlefields. The scale of the slaughter is so awful that it is tempting to stop thinking about it- what brought a renewed interest was looking for the grave of great-great-uncle Percy, and trying to unravel the details of the battle in which he died. We respond much better to individual stories, especially with some personal connection than to statistics on their own (and I speak as a statistician!)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Yesterday on Sky news I read the headline 28 EEC citizens dead and 1000 missing today the express headline is 28 Britains feared dead.The writers are looking to make a connection.

It was wonderful to see the response from the British public.

I know the response has been similar from the Sikh community particularly as the earthquake was felt in parts of Northern India.They have reacted in the way they reacted to the earthquake in Gujerat in 2001 when about 20,000 died and Burj and other parts were devastated.Like then and like now some individuals have arranged for the collection of money for the payment and delivery of Trucks of food and relief supplies.In one particular case a collection of about £40,000 has been arranged for trucks to go with food and relief supplies from ****** to areas around Khatmandhu a distance of almost 900 kms.Whilst this will take several days to arrive by road and are small drops in the ocean of need every drop helps.There is a much bigger response from across the organisations within the Sikh community both here and across the world and in India, particularly as in India where there are Sikh regiments in the Indian army there are also Ghurka regiments and it is their homeland which has been devastated.This is just one of many connections between Nepal and India.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

The connection between a mother who has lost a child and every other mother on the planet does not need to be couched in ethnic or religious terms. Human will do.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

+ 1

What is the purpose of your post quasimodo?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"When I am in my ego, then You are not with me. Now that You are with me, there is no egotism within me.
The wind may raise up huge waves in the vast ocean, but they are just water in water"
( The Guru Granth Sahib)

my favorite quote from the Guru Granth Sahib

I could go on about the help offered by the Israel Defence Forces in helping save the earthquake victims.

It is of course commendable that such disproportionate help is offered by minority group of people, both Sikhs and Jews number about the the same in terms of population aprox 25mill, it is amazing how both manage punch above their weight in every walk of life :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Crass comment of the weekend from the BBC. "The royal birth will lift the country after the doom & gloom of the Nepalese earthquake". I am speechless.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

scary mum wrote:Crass comment of the weekend from the BBC. "The royal birth will lift the country after the doom & gloom of the Nepalese earthquake". I am speechless.
:shock:

Appalling
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now