Post by Catseye »

I survived on chicken kababs and merrydown cider, all the way thru Uni

did me no harm :o
Tinkers

Re: Food Revolution

Post by Tinkers »

Amber wrote:You've made me feel as if I'm really weird now. :oops:
You make it sound like being weird is a bad thing. :lol:

As one of my favourite quotes says (and I've been telling DD this one for years)

"Why fit in, when you can stand out."

(PS I can't remember when I last cleaned the oven, but then I don't cook very often. I can, just DH does it most of the time. I just do the bbq stuff.
Except this week when DD has cooked all week. Chicken korma last night was very nice.)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Amber wrote:You've made me feel as if I'm really weird now. :oops:
I don't think you are weird Amber, I'm just jealous :D

Mind you I'm not sure I could afford to have it cleaned monthly they do charge a lot. But you have shamed me into booking the next appointment.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:You make it sound like being weird is a bad thing. :lol:

As one of my favourite quotes says (and I've been telling DD this one for years)

Well Yes in principle, but there's standing out and standing out, isn't there?

'Oh Julianna - yes she's the clever one';
'Louise - she's the pretty one';
'Amber - she's the one who's always cleaning her cooker'.

I would be far too embarrassed to have anyone else cleaning ours (though yes can see if you're allergic to the stuff it's a bit of a deal breaker). Back in the olden days a cooker I was living with broke down and the engineer who came to fix it said the problem had been caused by a build up of fat in the fan and it might be an idea to clean it occasionally. It wasn't just me, I hasten to add, but the shame of that has stayed with me.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I like being weird, Amber (and yes, I really am) so please keep me company! I'd be honoured. I won't tell you what all my weirdnesses are though as they make me too easily identifiable to the general populace.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Amber wrote:
Tinkers wrote:You make it sound like being weird is a bad thing. :lol:

Well Yes in principle, but there's standing out and standing out, isn't there?

'Oh Julianna - yes she's the clever one';
'Louise - she's the pretty one';
'Amber - she's the one who's always cleaning her cooker'.

I would be far too embarrassed to have anyone else cleaning ours (though yes can see if you're allergic to the stuff it's a bit of a deal breaker). Back in the olden days a cooker I was living with broke down and the engineer who came to fix it said the problem had been caused by a build up of fat in the fan and it might be an idea to clean it occasionally. It wasn't just me, I hasten to add, but the shame of that has stayed with me.

Buy a big bag of bicarbonate of soda off a famous auction site. Mix to a paste with water. Paint over cooker with old wall paint brush. Sit by cooker and read if you like because there are no fumes. Some time later, couple hours or half hour depending on dirt level, set too with (in my case) wallpaper scraper ( works a treat and very satisfying) or, in ambers case, just a cloth or whatever, and watch the magic. No fumes, a fraction of the price and no residual smell. Go on, try it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yamin151 wrote:uy a big bag of bicarbonate of soda off a famous auction site. Mix to a paste with water. Paint over cooker with old wall paint brush. Sit by cooker and read if you like because there are no fumes. Some time later, couple hours or half hour depending on dirt level, set too with (in my case) wallpaper scraper ( works a treat and very satisfying) or, in ambers case, just a cloth or whatever, and watch the magic. No fumes, a fraction of the price and no residual smell. Go on, try it!
OK, I will. I hardly dare admit that I did use that very substance to clean out my fridge yesterday as well (it was a spring-cleaning day) for fear that I will be mocked again: 'Cleaning out the fridge! Oh what indulgence! What horrors of excess! Amber is clearly suffering from an extreme form of OCD' - etc. :?

But I did. :oops:

Useful stuff, bicarb, I find. And easier to buy than similar white powders - when I decided to make elderflower pressé a couple of years ago and needed citric acid I almost got myself arrested in Boots. Apparently you can cut some kind of class A drug with it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Most homebrew shops sell citric acid. Often used in winemaking.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:Most homebrew shops sell citric acid. Often used in winemaking.
Homebrew shops? I'm not that weird! :lol: