Musical Recommendations Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Musical Recommendations Please

Post by Peridot »

If the three you mentioned in your original post are on in NY, any of those would be good, but my year 8 DD would probably recommend Les Mis if you've not seen it before. (She's only seen the film of Phantom, and she'd probably consider Lion King a bit "babyish" now - saw it twice when she was in primary school.)

I absolutely love Les Mis as a show; it's far better than the film. Wonderful music and it straddles the genres of musical and opera very successfully.

We've recently also enjoyed Wicked (very clever) and Miss Saigon as a family. The theme of Miss Saigon is pretty adult though (more so than Les Mis) so definitely 12+ or even older. The music was written by the same composers as Les Mis.

(Not a musical, so slightly off topic, but we just saw the current touring production of To Kill a Mockingbird which was really excellent. I believe it's coming to the Barbican in London so if you can get there and there are tickets available do go. The theatre we went to was completely sold out - even down to the little jump seats for ushers. Again it's not suitable for younger children; it keeps very very close to the book.)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

One here for Les Mis, I suspect your DD could cope with the story. Also one Billy Elliot, took DS to see the anniversary showing of the live version at the cinema in September, he loved it and wants to see it again. Currently in negotiations about which musical they want to see next.

Children have seen Matilda twice and loved it. As a family we took the to see The Lion King and really enjoyed it. With school they have also seen Oliver and Charlie and The Chocoate Factory, always been their favourite trip of the year.

Highly recommend Return to the Forbidden Planet, I believe it is on tour at the moment or it has just finished touring the UK.
KB

Post by KB »

Wouldn't say Lion King is babyish - maybe the film depending on what level its viewed but definitely not the show in opinion of many ages & stages we have seen it with.
Miss Saigon is also brilliant but agree about adult themes.
Depends very much on your DC I guess and how wordly they are.
I confess to enjoying musicals that don't make me think too hard :oops:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Have you come across Kids Week?

It used to be just a 'week' but it looks as if it's for the whole of August this year.

The idea is to encourage youngsters to go to London shows by giving a free child ticket for each adult one purchased. Two more child-rate tickets can be bought half price.

Tickets go on sale 16 June this year and in my experience they don't hang around long!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Warks mum wrote:The idea is to encourage youngsters to go to London shows by giving a free child ticket for each adult one purchased. Two more child-rate tickets can be bought half price.
Ooh so not only do you get to see a musical, you get to be surrounded by loads and loads of kids! I can't think of anything better.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that - not a musical fan myself. Another part of modern life which leaves me wondering if I have some kind of social, 'not getting it' disorder.)
tense

Post by tense »

Mine really enjoyed Billy Elliot. But I'd suggest anyone taking DC gives them a quick history lesson first - I thought my DS was going to explode with the number of questions he wanted to ask! A good show & good for post-show discussions :)

I love opera too but sadly my DC don't. I hope they'll grow into it. It can be pretty expensive to go to see any type of performance (travel, probably a meal etc) so I can understand why people opt for something they think everyone will enjoy- although sometimes you can strike lucky with cheap local productions.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

KB I agree I don't think Lion King is babyish at all; but my DD I'm sure would think it's a show for children compared to some of the other shows/plays she's seen lately. It depends how grown-up a year 8 thinks she is! Lion King is a wonderful, feel-good show, with a good moral backbone, fabulous costumes and catchy songs. We went twice because a girl we knew was the young Nala which made it even more exciting for my children at the time.

OP it really depends what kind of thing your DD likes. I and my DD would still go for Les Mis every time.

Loved Billy Elliot too but you do need to be aware of the copious swearing it contains - some might be offended.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Another one for Les Mis here - it is my fav musical and have seen it at least 7 times :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now