Earthquake in Kent

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Earthquake in Kent

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/k ... ors-37367/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
yoyo123

Re: Earthquake in Kent

Post by yoyo123 »

I blamed the cat for jumping on the bed..and then realised she wasn't there. bedside table was vibrating too.

I am an old hat at earthquakes, this is my third. I have statistically proven that they happen when I am lying down.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Statistically I read somewhere in the past we have about 600 a year in the UK.

I have been in 2 in the last 25 years. One in Wolverhampton when the epicentre was in Bridgnorth about 25 years when the building shook.This was in the afternoon.

The other was in the middle of the night in Birmingham in the last 10 years when most people slept through the night and again the building shook.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology ... es/UK.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

most noticeable round here was the Market Rasen 5.2 in 2007, middle of the night again, but set wardrobe doors clattering and lamps shaking.

I remember the Bridgnorth one Quasimodo - was in Nottingham and an old hospital building was shaking
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Two for me as well, the last was the Birmingham one (the Dudley quake of 2002 if you want to be precise :wink: ) which just felt like someone slamming the garage door. The previous one (about 1984 or thereabouts) was much more impressive, I was sitting up in bed reading and the bed swayed from side to side for several seconds. We've also had two tornadoes in that time as well :shock: .
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I know it's the Daily Fail, but it made me chuckle...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... conds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I remember the Birmingham one too - and in our position of being SO SO lucky in this country not to suffer the dreadful affects suffered by those in less fortunate countries, I do feel a gently mickey take in addition to KCGs is in order. I love this. With (vague) apologies to any Black Country-ers

URGENT - DUDLEY EARTHQUAKE APPEAL

At 00:54 on Monday 23 September an earthquake measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale hit Dudley, UK, causing untold disruption and distress - many were woken well before their Giro arrived.

Several priceless collections of mementos from the Balearics and Spanish Costas were damaged.

Three areas of historic and scientifically significant litter were disturbed.

Thousands are confused and bewildered, trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting has happened in Dudley.

One resident, Donna-Marie Dutton, a 17 year old mother-of-three said:

"It was such a shock, little Chantal-Leanne came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm slept through it. I was still shaking when I was watching Trisha the next morning."
Apparently though, looting did carry on as normal.

The British Red Cross have so far managed to ship 4000 crates of Sunny Delight to the area, to help the stricken masses.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings including benefit books and jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

£2 buys chips, scraps and blue pop for a family of four.
£10 can take a family to Stourport for the day, where children can play on an unspoiled canal bank among the national collection of stinging nettles.
22p buys a Biro for filling in a spurious compensation claim
PLEASE ACT NOW

Simply email us by return with your credit card details and we'll do the rest!

If you prefer to donate cash, there are collection points available at your local branches of Argos, Iceland and Clinton Cards.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

My bedroom door rattled for a bit and woke me out of a dead sleep. I thought someone had broken into the house so went out to the landing and all was quiet downstairs and DS was sound asleep.

DD is away on a school trip and my DH was kicked out into the spare room so he could snore without being kicked :lol:

It was only when I heard it on the radio whilst doing the school run that I put two and two together.

We live in Rayleigh Essex......
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just remember what a 'real' earthquake does:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32479909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure there is any place for humour when the after effects of this tragedy are ongoing ...