Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bad example.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm 
I was taking a look at my friends 14year old sons school essay, as he had asked me to help him (spelling and grammar) re-write it, as his d grade was not good enough. I was really shocked to see that the English teacher had corrected wiped (whipped) with wipped! I am sure this is the right spelling, and that its spelt with a 'h'. Whipped as in flog.
The teacher may have been under a lot of pressure,but surely this effort of correction is NOT a good example. I am sure there are some really brilliant English teachers out there, who would also find this 'mistake' not good enough...They are teaching our children for heavens sake! Forgive me if you think i am being a tadge fussy. :roll:
Has any one else had similar experiences? By the way he goes to a 'doing well' comp. :?

Post subject: Re: Bad example.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm 
Guest1965 wrote:
I was taking a look at my friends 14year old sons school essay, as he had asked me to help him (spelling and grammar) re-write it, as his d grade was not good enough. I was really shocked to see that the English teacher had corrected wiped (whipped) with wipped! I am sure this is the right spelling, and that its spelt with a 'h'. Whipped as in flog.
The teacher may have been under a lot of pressure,but surely this effort of correction is NOT a good example. I am sure there are some really brilliant English teachers out there, who would also find this 'mistake' not good enough...They are teaching our children for heavens sake! Forgive me if you think i am being a tadge fussy. :roll:
Has any one else had similar experiences? By the way he goes to a 'doing well' comp. :?

All too common nowadays, I'm afraid. I've got my work cut out trying to correct all the spellings my Y5 daughter has "copied" from what her teacher has written on the board! (And my daughter didn't often make mistakes with copying until this September, so it can't all be her fault!) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:23 pm 

In year 5 my daughters teacher wrote in her reading log that she could of done better...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
In year 2 my son's teacher recorded in his contact book that he should write a letter of "appology" to another teacher ..... He did write the letter, with the correct spelling. We also regularly get notes about "parent's" evenings..... Another contact book entry was that my eldest had "spung" round in the playground and accidentally hurt another child.

Post subject: spelling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 pm 

It's not just teachers - I had a colleague at work ( about 20 years younger than me) whose spelling and grammar were appalling - she was actually in a more senior position but used to ask me to "tidy up" her writing....

(have to concentrate v hard not to make any typos in a thread like this though!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 pm 

My child had to regular correct teacher's maths in Y5 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:31 pm 

I totally agree. I was quite amused when I saw an advert for a second hand car offering "four brand new tires". Sorry - I forgot to mention the seller was a secondary school english teacher!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:39 pm 

Possibly the same person who placed an advert in our local paper to sell their "four birth camper van"? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:32 pm 

I have a bee in my bonnet about apostrophes.

At our last staff Christmas do I kept correcting teh apostrophe errors and spelling on teh blackboard above teh bar.

It became a contest, who could distract the barman for long enough for me to rub out the offending items..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:22 pm 

Did you correct any of his "typos" while you were there? :D