Good automatic car

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Basil

Good automatic car

Post by Basil »

Hi All
Please suggest a good Automatic car which goes well in up & downhills/ in curves/super steering for a lady driver with short legs _Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Good automatic car

Post by yoyo123 »

I have an Auris Hybrid and it is brilliant!

You really need to drive them to see, I had an automatic Astra as a hire car and I hated the gearbox, very unresponsive compared to the Toyota's which I have driven before, even though the car handled well and was comfprtable to drive otherwise.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My mum had auto Astra too a few years ago and hated the gearbox.
I think she now has an auto Mokka, and says that is much better so maybe Vauxhall have sorted out their issues.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Most 'automatic' gearboxes have changed beyond recognition in the last few years. Automatics used to be very thirsty compared with the equivalent manual version and often pretty sluggish. Things have changed a lot with the new 'semi-automatic' boxes. Car companies call them different things. VW, for example, (though perhaps not the ideal example given the news at the moment!) calls it a DSG gearbox and if you tried driving an old automatic alongside a DSG you'd probably find the latter much better.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Thanks for all replies.
can you please suggest which automatic car do you think best : :oops:
Hyundai 10
AudiA1
ford Fiesta
citroegen C1
Toyota auris

I am driving a manual car now but because of some foot problems switching to automatic but worried whether automatic cars move back in uphills when I stop/slow down? :roll:
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

I found Ford Fiesta fairly easy to drive. I have also driven Nissan Almera and neither of them moved back when stopping or slowing down up the hill. HTH
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

They don't move back, makes you look a whizz at hill starts!

I had to change to automatic because of back and neck problems and thought
I wouldn't like them.

I am a fan of Toyotas, the earlier Auris had quite a jerky gearbox but the hybrids are better. Quite expensive though (although zero road tax!)

My advice would be to test drive a few to get a feel for what feels right for you.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

An auto won't go backwards. If anything, the thing I had to get used to was the creeping forwards! At traffic lights, for example, an automatic will creep forwards if you don't use the brake unless you are on a really steep hill.

All those you have mentioned should be good cars. The Toyota is traditionally said to be the most reliable but personally I'd also suggest the most uninteresting... However, if you only want a car to get reliably from A to B it might be the answer...

As suggested, the best thing is to try them yourself. I had a real problem, for example, driving a friend's Audi as the pedals were offset so far that one 200mile trip gave me back ache for ages!
doodles

Post by doodles »

My mum, a tentative driver who is a little lady, has an automatic VW Up. I'm very jealous and want it, it's great.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

doodles wrote:My mum, a tentative driver who is a little lady, has an automatic VW Up. I'm very jealous and want it, it's great.
It's great if you disregard the emissions :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now