Summer Cooking

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Summer Cooking

Post by doodles »

Just a place to share summery recipes.

If I serve salad again there may be a revolution chez doodles so some ideas for alternatives to the usual pasta, couscous and leaves would be good.

Plus I need some advice. I have all the constituent parts to a salmon and watercress tart but I misread the recipe before I went shopping and don't have enough cream, however I do have creme fraiche. Would you "top up" the cream with creme fraiche? It's the Nigel Slater Simple Suppers recipe.
scary mum

Re: Summer Cooking

Post by scary mum »

I would, but I am always a little relaxed in my attitude to recipes :lol:

PS can I come & try some??
scary mum
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Or maybe an extra egg yolk?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I just use eggs and milk if I make a bog standard quiche type thing - i would top up the cream with milk
doodles

Post by doodles »

I usually use eggs and milk too and a splash of cream if it's lurking in the fridge but I do have this creme fraiche staring me - as nobody seems to think it's a complete "no no" then I'll risk it.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Would always feel comfortable swapping in some creme fraiche for cream, doodles. Will give it a slightly tart, less rich flavour. A bit less pleased with my planned lunch of sausage rolls and chips, now!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or mix smoked trout or mackerel with the creme fraiche and add a spoonful of horseradish...delicious! Serve with cold new potatoes (or hot ones) and some leaves.

Spicy chicken and peppers in wraps or pita bread?
salsa

Post by salsa »

You could make other salads with roasted vegetables. I saw a Moroccan aubergine salad and added roasted courgettes, cherry tomatoes and basil to the basic recipe.
How about a Russian salad? Quinoa salad? Greek salad? With this weather I just feel like having lots of salads.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2940 ... kpea-salad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think this is the best summer recipe ever! Not the cheapest but well worth it. I always double up because we live on this in the summer and everyone loves it!
It doesn't sound that awesome but it truly is delicious.
Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of green pesto (jar is absolutely fine). Season.
Stir in: 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 drained can of chickpeas, 100g of feta in cubes, 100g of sun blush topside (chopped) and 50g of black olives (chopped).
Stir well.
Even better when made a day ahead!
I quite often have it on its own but it goes really well with chicken as well. And great for barbecues. ..
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sounds delicious loobylou and reminds me that I used to have a recipe for a warm(ish) potato salad but I've lost it so I'll do some internet searching.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now