Sick and tired of ds losing things

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
koala

Re: Sick and tired of ds losing things

Post by koala »

At our school, and others, a group of parents collect 2nd hand uniform which includes indoor PE kit, rugby tops and shorts. It is then sold alongside new uniform at some uniform sale evenings and all parents evenings. £25 rugby tops are sold for less than £5 as are blazers. Some new Year 7 parents mix and match new and old uniform/kit whilst others buy all new and a few nearly all secondhand. Is this an option for you at your son's new school?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Anything lost in this house is replaced with second hand gear from any source, often ill fitting, they know the score! I also bought a collection of indelible fabric pens with my eldest and plastered his name across the back of the rolled up rain coat hoods and initials on front of pocket flaps, full name on bottom hem in big letters on rugby top and shorts and white shirt hems. He hated it and begged me not to do it, so I gave him another chance and he has done much better this year, now only superdry coats get personalised or to be frank they get stolen.

I have issues with protractors, compasses, rubbers and sharpener at the moment, I seem to be supplying several friends with all the equipment they have never been bought at the loss to my own sons pencil cases and my pocket!
copella

Post by copella »

southbucks3 wrote:I have issues with protractors, compasses, rubbers and sharpener at the moment, I seem to be supplying several friends with all the equipment they have never been bought at the loss to my own sons pencil cases and my pocket!
Same in this house :lol: :lol: :lol:
anxiously hopeful

Post by anxiously hopeful »

Thank you for the comments, guys, there are some good ideas here. The lost jacket was not uniform, but a nice looking waterproof breathable thing from a camping shop, wouldn't have bothered if it was part of the uniform as there are only few weeks left at this school (where many don't have coats/jackets at all!). There is a second hand shop at the new school, I will probably get new uniform, but used sports kit where possible. Second hand back up and replacement is definitely a good option, and boy, he will have to work hard to pay for the lost stuff!
We've been keeping the good local people in steady supply of free quality goggles since he started swimming in a club, so I buy three at a time! He is an only child, btw :-)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD doesn't just lose stuff she also brings home other girls' stuff. Sometimes she's borrowed the stuff, sometimes she's looking after it and sometimes she has no idea why it's there. I've told a few of her friends to check her PE bag first if they've lost something.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we had a lost PE full bag returned about a year after it went AWOL - goodness knows where it had been!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Our house, probably.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KS10 wrote:Our house, probably.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD has brought home other people's PE stuff on three ocassions now. Thankfully manages to keep her own.
One of her friends lost her tacky bottoms quite early on in year 7.
These were found on the last day of year 7 in the next locker to hers. Along with her mother's lost car key.

If you can teach them to look after their stuff better now, by whatever means, it will serve them well in future. I had an ex who was still always losing/forgetting stuff in his twenties and thirties. I once asked him to get my car tax for me as I worked in the middle of nowhere and he worked opposite a post office. After getting the disc, he managed to lose he whole lot, MOT cert, insurance cert, disc, the lot. Thankfully it was handed in somewhere and I got the lot back. He lost all sorts of stuff. Bags on trains, jumpers in pubs, you name it.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

DS2 defies all the known laws of physics and genetics in that he has only ever once "lost" something - his hugely expensive school blazer. We spent more than half an hour hunting for it when finally the Deputy Head ambled past and asked why we were still in school.

Upon explaining the unusual situation of him having lost something, the DH coolly announced that she had "borrowed" DS2's blazer to give to a boy who was playing in an away match and had lost his! :?

Needless to say, the other boy promptly lost DS2's blazer as well. :roll: