article

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

article

Post by JaneEyre »

what do you think of this one? what are your reactions when reading it?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... aster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Re: article

Post by southbucks3 »

I agree with 90%of it.
I don't agree that teachers should "respect all children especially the naughty ones" respect should be earned and why "especially" naughty ones? Naughty is a hard word to define anyway, presumably he means those who break social, welfare, and safety rules.

Vicarious living; most of us have a touch of it with our children, particularly as they seem to have far more opportunities than many of us had. Round here in affluent parts of bucks vicarious living is getting out of hand, I'm sure many of the sports champion, schools proms winning musician, triathlon competing, duke of Edinburgh gold achieving, cordon bleu cooking, mountain climbing, talent show winning, a* kids must go to uni and think "thank god its over now I can just be me." I do know two children who have rather disappointed their parents by dropping out and becoming bedroom monsters, it can only be maintained for so long, but f you ever raise an eyebrow in the parents direction they assure you the child loves it all and makes all their own decisions. Humph!

As for being emotionally detached from our toddler children, with both parents being actively encouraged by the govt to return to work quickly and hand kids over to child care professions from sometimes 7am-6pm until they join full time education at four, it comes as no surprise really that along the way there are some casualties.
Tolstoy

Re: article

Post by Tolstoy »

southbucks3 wrote: As for being emotionally detached from our toddler children, with both parents being actively encouraged by the govt to return to work quickly and hand kids over to child care professions from sometimes 7am-6pm until they join full time education at four, it comes as no surprise really that along the way there are some casualties.
Very true, especially as those who opt not to are often portrayed as yummy mummies living off sugar daddies, mindless idiots lacking in any sort of ambition or scroungers of the state.

The article annoyed me. Another pop at parenting, no wonder this generation of parents biggest problem is the burden of guilt. Too much involvement makes us helicopters or vicarious living through our DC. Not enough and we are neglectful and produce disobedient offspring. Give us a break :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now