parent donations/sponsorship in state schools... influence?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Warks mum

Re: parent donations/sponsorship in state schools... influen

Post by Warks mum »

At yesterday's Leavers' Reception, DD's Headteacher gave a short speech that included a warm 'thank you' to those who'd supported the school through the parents' association groups and in other ways, saying the school couldn't be anything like as successful for its students if such parents didn't give up so much time (and money) to help.

I felt this was a very appropriate response.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

salsa wrote:Donate, yes. Privileges, no. If you have the means and are generous, then it's a great thing to share.
Not quite black and white, though. Consider this: Mick Jagger donated over half a million to build the Mick Jagger Centre at Dartford Grammar. He gets front seats when he visits. :D I don't think any of the parents are unhappy about this!

Such an original name for the centre too. :lol:
salsa

Post by salsa »

southbucks3 wrote:
salsa wrote:Donate, yes. Privileges, no. If you have the means and are generous, then it's a great thing to share.
Not quite black and white, though. Consider this: Mick Jagger donated over half a million to build the Mick Jagger Centre at Dartford Grammar. He gets front seats when he visits. :D I don't think any of the parents are unhappy about this!

Such an original name for the centre too. :lol:
They are very proud he went there. So, I'm sure his name would been there somewhere. Anyway, more "shocking" is the fact that he's encouraged to write on the walls when he visits!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If I got the mad urge to make a significant donation to one of my DCs' schools (as opposed to the fairly considerable amount of time a few of us donate in terms of PA involvement) I would do it because I wanted to provide something for the school community in general and would only expect my own to benefit from my action in the way that they would anyway, if you see what I mean. If they no longer qualified for a team or whatever, then I wouldn't expect another better qualified child to be kept out just because my child's mum bought the minibus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

ToadMum wrote:If I got the mad urge to make a significant donation to one of my DCs' schools (as opposed to the fairly considerable amount of time a few of us donate in terms of PA involvement) I would do it because I wanted to provide something for the school community in general and would only expect my own to benefit from my action in the way that they would anyway, if you see what I mean. If they no longer qualified for a team or whatever, then I wouldn't expect another better qualified child to be kept out just because my child's mum bought the minibus.
+1
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

ToadMum wrote:If I got the mad urge to make a significant donation to one of my DCs' schools (as opposed to the fairly considerable amount of time a few of us donate in terms of PA involvement) I would do it because I wanted to provide something for the school community in general and would only expect my own to benefit from my action in the way that they would anyway, if you see what I mean. If they no longer qualified for a team or whatever, then I wouldn't expect another better qualified child to be kept out just because my child's mum bought the minibus.
Well quite, but not everyone is so completely altruistic are they, I wonder if the school assess the nature of the donation and in deed the parent before accepting, it's a very sensitive area, as even if completely innocent it could be perceived differently by other parents, sports donations are nearly always anonymous but with big rumours attached. Not that I can foresee any time I could ever buy a mini bus, I may drive it sometimes, but yes, due to practicality reasons only,my boy would always be a passenger! I think I would prefer to buy bricks and mortar tbh, or a new bog and have our family name crested on the cistern and would hate sitting behind or with the head staff at events.....I would feel like I was put there for being naughty.

A local pub just got new ownership and the owner foolishly ripped out and replastered a wall full of big name autographs from the seventies. Hope your school never does that with jagger graffiti.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We've discussed what we'd do in the very unlikely event of winning the lottery. As well as family and friends, we both said we would give a decent amount to DDs school.

If it ever happens, I'd do it anonymously, through a third party if possible. I wouldn't want any staff or students knowing where a big lump sum had come from, but I would like it spent in ways that benefited as many students as possible. I certainly wouldn't want privileges because of it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

southbucks3 wrote:
Well quite, but not everyone is so completely altruistic are they, I wonder if the school assess the nature of the donation and in deed the parent before accepting, it's a very sensitive area, as even if completely innocent it could be perceived differently by other parents, sports donations are nearly always anonymous but with big rumours attached. Not that I can foresee any time I could ever buy a mini bus, I may drive it sometimes, but yes, due to practicality reasons only,my boy would always be a passenger! I think I would prefer to buy bricks and mortar tbh, or a new bog and have our family name crested on the cistern and would hate sitting behind or with the head staff at events.....I would feel like I was put there for being naughty.

A local pub just got new ownership and the owner foolishly ripped out and replastered a wall full of big name autographs from the seventies. Hope your school never does that with jagger graffiti.

By the way, the "I was back" graffiti has been framed, so I think it's safe!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now