Life Challenge ideas please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MamaBear

Re: Life Challenge ideas please?

Post by MamaBear »

this is an excellent thread, i cant wait to get stuck into this.
my boys are working on how to wrap presents NEATLY! how to change a lightbulb, shopping with a budget, handwashing and how to treat stains, learning to say sorry, they find that so so hard!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:)
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

RedVelvet wrote:Oh and lighting a fire without matches.
Yes and without one of those firefighter thingy' that come with an outdoor kit. Just sticks.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:)
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Anything that involves mentoring or teaching younger children, sports clubs are great for this. Is she a member of any of the uniformed organisations? Guides/Brownies and Scouts/Cubs have been grata in our house. Lots of new fun skills and great for out of school friends too.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

MamaBear wrote:this is an excellent thread, i cant wait to get stuck into this.
my boys are working on how to wrap presents NEATLY! how to change a lightbulb, shopping with a budget, handwashing and how to treat stains, learning to say sorry, they find that so so hard!
If they get good they can do mine, I hate wrapping gifts, but love finding them, the boys do their own at whatever level they consider ok, it varies hugely from eldest to youngest, messiest being eldest.

Treating stains: I think this has been enforced more than a few times, normally following a few harsh words, but which in turn followed boy stupidity or playing footy after cricket whilst still wearing their whites. Grrrrrr.

The boys have all had a go driving off road, they love it, I hate it, dh gets worshipped for it.

I do seriously think the best life challenges for kids simply present themselves though and are not contrived by parents. That is so long as we let them loose a bit of course.
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe give her the food budget for the week and get her to plan, purchase and cook ( or just one meal a day if that's rather arduous).

Map reading from middle of nowhere can be harder than you think - years of D of E experience! It's a fun idea but you might need to take it in stages for safety.

We've done the 'give them £10' thing a few times and its a good one.

They could also be given a shed/ attic/ bedroom to clear out and sell off stuff to raise money for a particular event/ cause.

If you are planning on a holiday etc you could get her to research the different elements. Or compile a guide book for somewhere you have already booked.

We used to enjoy walking locally and drawing maps when we were younger but maybe that's a bit pointless now with google!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I would say doing something for other people (outside of close family) children are very ego centric so learning that sometimes you have to do something you may not really want to do because it will make someone else happy is I think the most important thing any of us can learn. Someone mentioned visiting old people - I think this is a fantastic idea - so many elderly people are very lonely - so you dd reading to them / chatting etc would be very welcome. It may also help her with her friendship problems at school as its practice in seeing something from another's perspective.
KB

Post by KB »

And also inviting them out - home for tea or out to tea shop etc.
Most young people I know who have done this actually enjoy it hugely and learn that people they may not naturally see as 'friends' can have a lot to offer back too.

Our local town used to have a voluteer scheme for accompanying frail or disabled people to do shopping - very popular with the helpers as well as those being helped.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

My friend's DS has just come back from univ. She reckons he has not changed or washed his duvet cover since September!

A good life challenge... To wash and change the whole household's bedding. Using the washing machine (and not overloading it) and grappling with a king size duvet, both pegging out and putting the duvet back inside, could be fun! A king size fitted sheet is tricky too especially getting it back on the bed the correct way round.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now