Life Challenge ideas please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsChubbs

Re: Life Challenge ideas please?

Post by MrsChubbs »

Have to say a lot of this echoes what we do in the guiding movement. This term the girls learned to iron, polish shoes, sew on buttons, ride a bike (!), ordered, paid for and collected a Chinese takeaway. What is your local group like? Takes all sorts and strongly promotes equality and friendship.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

hosting a little party, organising the food, setting the table and being a good host, making your guest feel welcome. whenever we have guests, family, friends or neighbours my boys grunt a hello then disappear to their rooms or worse read a book in front of the guests.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Eccentric wrote:I have a friend who is a consultant in A and E and she reckons it's a good idea to organise driving lessons for teens and pre teens as early as possible. The ones on a car park obviously. To demystify driving, show them how dangerous cars are. Give them as much experience as possible before they get into some drunk teenagers car. Apparently the statistics are horrendous for teens crossing the roads, not looking and getting hit by cars. (Sorry not pleasant). These driving lessons are expensive but I get her reasoning and one or two at least would be a good idea.
Is there anywhere around Bucks you can take pre- licienced, to practice driving? I have two to teach this year and when I did mine many year back we used to use an old airfield to get started. Don't want off road just somewhere we can do some of the basics. We used to have a long drive last year which gave my eldest a little practice but a car then was an automatic.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Tolstoy wrote:Is there anywhere around Bucks you can take pre- licienced, to practice driving? I have two to teach this year and when I did mine many year back we used to use an old airfield to get started. Don't want off road just somewhere we can do some of the basics. We used to have a long drive last year which gave my eldest a little practice but a car then was an automatic.
I grew up in Bucks and my dad used to take us to practice driving to the old airfield at Bovingdon just near the prison. It became a market after that but I don't know if it's still empty some of the time?
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:)
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Researching and opening a bank account. Recently done this with DD.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Maybe challenge her to think of some of her own life challenges, as possibly there are things that she is not worried about doing, that you assume she would be and vice versa?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Eccentric wrote:
kittymum wrote:I would say doing something for other people (outside of close family) children are very ego centric so learning that sometimes you have to do something you may not really want to do because it will make someone else happy is I think the most important thing any of us can learn. Someone mentioned visiting old people - I think this is a fantastic idea - so many elderly people are very lonely - so you dd reading to them / chatting etc would be very welcome. It may also help her with her friendship problems at school as its practice in seeing something from another's perspective.
This is a great idea - I was thinking that she could organise a music concert with her and her friends at an old peoples home. Kills two birds with one stone. Her current school has not given her the opportunity to perform all year and children grow fearful if they don't do things regularly.
P.s she doesn't have friendship problems anywhere else other than school. She is on 3 summer course this year I an I have absolute faith that she will make friends wherever she goes. She is very good at seeing things from others perspectives - if anything I would say that she is too sensitive and cares too much about others. Feelings.

Just sitting, talking and reading, (which is increasingly difficult as eyes age) is what most people in our red cross centre want, they like youngsters in a choir on occasion, if they can choose to attend, but only a select few will want to hear music performed by any children other than their grandchildren, any more than strangers would pay to watch a band of child musicians if their child was not amongst them. Maybe if she befriends someone they will listen to her play quietly somewhere it won't disturb the other residents.
The red cross also has craft days for its day visitors when they always need extra helpers, they moan about these days, but it keeps their fingers and brains active so is quite important.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

I think MrsChubbs suggestion about guides is a good one. I'm sure MrsChubbs can advise but some guides can also help with the younger brownies also. Lots of life skills there. I am inclined to agree with the view that contriving situations is no substitute for just using opportunities as they arise - apart from of course any clubs such as music or sport where there may be extra responsibilities placed on them.
Southbucks mentioned the Red Cross Centre so if they do take volunteer youngsters then I would make the most of that if it is local to you because realistically I don't think there will be many residential or care homes etc which would allow children of 12 years of age to visit and help out unless they had supervision etc.
Perhaps conservation groups for environmental clear ups, bird watching etc etc have a junior section which might stretch your DD's experiences.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:)
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now