Anti-perpirant for boys?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stressed?Moi?

Anti-perpirant for boys?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

My 10 year old ds is allergic to showers even though he should be used to it as I make him have one every morning. He hates the feel of soap and hates washing his hair, as he seems to get shampoo in his eyes each time. He believes that standing in a shower and letting the water run off is adequate. Consequently, I have to vet him and his clothes thoroughly. My dd says that he really should now wear anti-perspirant and she's probably right, but I'm reluctant to load chemicals. I use an aluminium-free type, but it doesn't always last on a very hot day so I sometimes migrate back to the "real" stuff. As he runs everywhere and is sporty it is becoming more of an issue and as he starts senior school in September, I can't see it getting any better and I can see him earning some sort of derogatory nickname if we aren't careful. Does anyone have any ideas?
southbucks3

Re: Anti-perpirant for boys?

Post by southbucks3 »

Reluctant to say this as I don't know your circumstances, but I had similar and forced my husband to take the heavy hand and supervise, the threat of a rough, soapy, flanneling in the shower with the occasional whip of the towel end (playing) seemed to sort him out. As for deo, I am allergic to sprays so they all use anti perspirant roll on 24 hour protection, they all seem to still be in possession of healthy armpits, but miss out on the linx effect, due to me. :twisted: The plus side of roll on is I have a spare in the car, so if I quiz them on the way to sports and realise that they are deo- less it can be applied under the shirt easily. They also all have a spare condensed spray deo in their school sports bags, as I don't have to breath it in at school, these cans do seem to remain disturbingly full though.

My overall thoughts, having had the pleasure of chauffeuring five teenage boys around twice a week, when one forgets deo, or has stinky trainers, the others are fairly harsh, I simply open my window to breath. :lol:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Fab advice southbucks. Ref supervision, most mornings I stand in the showeroom and moan, but it's like water off a duck's back (pun not intended :D ). Predictably he is better when dh has done this, but he isn't always around in the morning.

My other concern with anti-perspirant/deodorant is that he will just treat this as an alternative to washing. Perhaps I should just let things take their course and let him face the peer wrath!
tense

Post by tense »

Perhaps your DS would prefer shower gel to soap? There are some which are hair & body washes. And maybe if you (or DH) take him to choose his own toiletries under the guise of 'aren't you growing up' he might be flattered into using them? My DS uses FCUK mainly (usually 3 for 2 at Boots) - supplemented by body sprays & unnecessary after shave. I insist on an anti-perspirant as a base (he likes the solid stick type).

In a couple of years you will have the opposite problem - my DH has been known to turn the boiler off to encourage my DS to get out of the shower :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mine use the solid Lynx (and others) which seem to be effective and satisfy the teenage boy love of Lynx. Number 2 son does have to be reminded though :roll:
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have a phobia of solid sticks after quickly using one once that Dh had left out in the bathroom, as I was rushing, then looking down as I replaced the cap to discover armpit curlies embedded within the deo. A moment I have now shared. :shock:u
salsa

Post by salsa »

Maybe having a relaxing bath at night? We use Jason aloe vera shampoo and gel. No nasties and no stinging eyes. (You can get it at the health shop or on line) About deodorant, Mitchum roll on does the job for up to 48 hours.
KB

Post by KB »

+1 for bath or shower in the evening.
In year 7 he can probably then get away with a decent wash in the morning.

+1 for letting him choose his own toiletries - preferably on a shopping trip with Dad.

Beyond that it's probably a case of leave him to peer pressure ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When I first saw the title of this thread, my automatic thought was, 'Oh, yes please' :lol:

Actually, neither of our boys has an aversion to washing - they are both very fond of swimming, too, so perhaps it's a water thing with them :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My 10/12 year olds shower twice a week beginning and end. Not using deodorant yet as they don't have BO but the older ones use roll on or stick as rest is too expensive and runs out too quickly. One of them can be a pain about showering hence the strict schedule of which mornings it must happen. I'd like to say that they will wash and use deo when it becomes obvious they need to but would be lying. Eldest still has phases when he doesn't bother until prompted by me because I can no longer bare the smell :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now