More on HPV vaccines

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: More on HPV vaccines

Post by hermanmunster »

Warks mum wrote:I'd definitely be interested in the detail behind your comment on its effectiveness in over 18s hermanmunster - apart from the obvious reasons why many wouldn't be able to benefit because of lifestyle. This certainly wasn't mentioned in any of the documentation we both researched at the time and could have made a difference to my daughter's decision.

I had a similar problem researching smear tests as a young adult. My understanding now is those who have never been s....lly active or have only had one faithful partner are unlikely to contract the type of cancer that most often shows up in a smear test. This has never appeared in any of the documentation I've seen! Presumably because the assumption is that neither of these can be relied on...
I'll have to check up on some of it, but my understanding was the vaccine was less effective is stimulating antibody production beyond the age of 15-16 ish that is why it is done earlier, also any later and the risk of viral exposure is greater.
Similar problems happen with getting some people to respond to Hep B vaccine - women often won't react and also age has an effect, (had 5 hep B before any whiff of an rise in antibody titre).

The licence for gardasil goes to 26 but the programme is only until 18

I think the stuff about the smear test comes down to the word "unlikely" and also the need for reliance that both partners have never had a partner before. For years the epidemiology of cervical cancer showed it was smokers, women who had early pregnancies and those who had more pregnancies and their was also a social class element (based on the occupation of the husband at that time). Testing was targeted but no one was quite sure what was causing the disease until HPV was found in large numbers of samples. Of course then work had to be done as association does not equal causation.
KB

Post by KB »

For logistical reasons we decided not to wait for DC,s invite from GP for the new menW vaccine but when they phoned surgery the receptionist didn't even know what it was....Thankfully the lady was on the ball enough to go and find out so now booked in.
If DCs are likely to be travelling around etc after exam results it might be worth contacting surgery rather than waiting for invite as it needs to be done at least a couple of weeks before going to Uni.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Interesting HM - thank you.

Perhaps DD should re-consider having the HPV vaccine after all. I'll wait to hear about your check!

It's a shame this information isn't freely available at the beginning (both for HPV and the smear test) as there will be a number of people who might benefit from making a more informed decision. I guess the fact that many of the population doesn't understand the concept of risk means the NHS would prefer to introduce a blanket programme rather than miss vulnerable people.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Warks mum wrote:Interesting HM - thank you.

Perhaps DD should re-consider having the HPV vaccine after all. I'll wait to hear about your check!

It's a shame this information isn't freely available at the beginning (both for HPV and the smear test) as there will be a number of people who might benefit from making a more informed decision. I guess the fact that many of the population doesn't understand the concept of risk means the NHS would prefer to introduce a blanket programme rather than miss vulnerable people.
Not understanding risk can cause problems - also non blanket programmes can be a nightmare! There are always way of exempting people or excluding on informed dissent, but how informed is this etc etc. Also maintaining non blanket databases can be complicated. Exemption codes can be put in but sometimes they are time limited and invites are sent again in the future for people to partake.
As it is the search on each GP list gets run on pre set age parameters and invites issued.
The shingles programme was worse than the HPV - we could give vaccine to those aged 70 and 79. Not 70 to 79. So the 71 year olds had to to wait until they were older, ghastly trying to explain - there was a mega shortage of vaccine too, though think that has improved.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KB wrote:For logistical reasons we decided not to wait for DC,s invite from GP for the new menW vaccine but when they phoned surgery the receptionist didn't even know what it was....Thankfully the lady was on the ball enough to go and find out so now booked in.
If DCs are likely to be travelling around etc after exam results it might be worth contacting surgery rather than waiting for invite as it needs to be done at least a couple of weeks before going to Uni.
Probably need to ask for the MenC - at least that is what it is being called in GP land. TBH not much info seems to have come to the surgery - those of us with uni aged kids were commenting on this. (as of a couple of weeks ago - something may have come through now ) I got the feeling that rather than people being invited, they were expecting people to make appointments - we were wondering if UCAS would advise the students to do so .... :?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I phoned our surgery this morning re the new meningitis vaccine and was told they are starting from next week and to phone back then. Her confirmation letter from the accomodation office suggested she made sure she was all up to date with vaccinations before she went.
(She has also made an appointment to open a student bank account and I have looked out some towels for her...the journey begins).
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Warks mum wrote:I'd definitely be interested in the detail behind your comment on its effectiveness in over 18s hermanmunster - apart from the obvious reasons why many wouldn't be able to benefit because of lifestyle. This certainly wasn't mentioned in any of the documentation we both researched at the time and could have made a difference to my daughter's decision.

I had a similar problem researching smear tests as a young adult. My understanding now is those who have never been s....lly active or have only had one faithful partner are unlikely to contract the type of cancer that most often shows up in a smear test. This has never appeared in any of the documentation I've seen! Presumably because the assumption is that neither of these can be relied on...
I would imagine that other than nuns, finding a statistically significant group to research to prove being non s**lly active is enough of a protection - and indeed they won't know unless they trial it against 'best current practice' which is now to give the vaccine.

And one faithful partner? Thats no protection at all if that partner has a history - however faithful they are now, all their previous partners, whether one or 50, have exposed that person to any disease that might be passed on se***lly.

For what its worth, I think my boys should have it too, but its not currently offered.
KB

Post by KB »

Having had others through the Uni freshers process I sent DC to get an up to date list of vaccinations from surgery and we then made appointment for meningitis booster. When he got there the nurse had just been on a course about the new one and she told him to rebook in August for it instead. Obviously the surgery hadn't informed receptionists though!

Realise its very new but if they are going to catch everyone before freshers weeks there isn't much time. Many of DCs friends have things arranged after next Thursday making it more complicated.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Yamin151 - you're also making the commonly-held assumption that faithfulness from the beginning to one partner is impossible! It's definitely possible and still happens regularly, especially among those with a strong faith. It's also not a recognised or respected path in the education given to youngsters, which makes is especially difficult for those who choose this route.

The NHS doesn't acknowledge it in its documentation either, which I think is a shame.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's also not a recognised or respected path in the education given to youngsters
Sorry, as a teacher, I find that offensive.

It is certanly part of PSHE programme in several year groups and we don't have a faith association. No teacher I've ever comes across encourages promiscurity among young people.