Great British Bake Off

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Great British Bake Off

Post by Yamin151 »

all this cricket talk! I'm terrible at discussing sport and it was suggested I start a thread for GBBO and finding myself with a bit of quiet time before everyone up and I go to work I thought I'd do just that!

Comments?

My first thought is Mary Berry's hair gets stiffer with lacquer every new series :lol:

That's said, Paul has a double, the poor musician guy was destined to go, and who remembers the first one off? Easy to forget that he beat about 20,000 people to be there!

Poor Dorret with her collapsed gateaux.

And a moan, why do they always show Bake Off when we are in the post holiday get the weight off phase? All those gateaux, it was torture!

Really love it, it's so gentle and pleasant and friendly and supportive and all those things that are usually strenuously avoided by reality TV shows. This year the boys are watching it with us too and that makes it even nicer.
Shames me for my scruffy cakes though!
marigold

Re: Great British Bake Off

Post by marigold »

Really love it here too. I think it was the first time since last Christmas that we have all sat down as a family to watch anything. DH did slope off to the garage to " do something with his bike" after about half an hour but came back for the final judging so, by his standards watched at least a months worth of TV and completed his required target of family time on the sofa with very little moaning.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

DD and I love it - though DH is not quite so keen!

I sympathise with the timing comment Yamin151, but DD is off to uni soon so I'm glad we can watch some episodes together before I'm left on the sofa alone for the critical final stages!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We love it too though dh declines to watch with us. I also love the fact that, although it's a competition, it's gentle and not cut-throat. I've noticed Masterchef trying to emulate that as well.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

loobylou wrote:... and not cut-throat.
But what about Custard-Gate!?!?! :lol:

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ummmm....at the risk of being controversial...I did try...but, honestly, I think it's a bit like Boden - I don't really get it. It's over-rated, and really quite boring!!

Sorry...I do like Masterchef, though...
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

DD loves it and is currently in the kitchen whipping up MB's 3 types of mini biscuits!
I, in turn, will then have to chuck together a madeira cake for the boys to judge ....
And on the hottest day of the hols so far :shock:

JD
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

DD's sorting out key-lemon-pie cupcakes at the moment. They were supposed to be key-lime-pie but she couldn't find lime curd in our local supermarket.

Clearly not quite GBBO standard yet - they'd have whipped up a curd from raw limes and what-ever-else-goes-into-lime-cure in a flash!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

It's over-rated, and really quite boring!!
I can quite understand kenyancowgirl... the cricket feels the same to me :roll:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Warks mum wrote:
It's over-rated, and really quite boring!!
I can quite understand kenyancowgirl... the cricket feels the same to me :roll:
Yes, I agree on the cricket!! Also agree though on the bake off, it's not exciting, it's not controversial, it's a bit like cricket in the background or afternoon tea, it demands nothing of you, is gentle and comforting like Werthers Originals, a nice cup of tea, or a warm bath, and that's why I love it. It's like picking up an Enid blyton.....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now