Are Tube drivers really worth a bigger pay rise?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Are Tube drivers really worth a bigger pay rise?

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:To be fair, I was trying to explain one reason why possibly tube drivers get paid more than bus drivers. And, I suspect that most nurses understand that facing death and horrific injuries are part and parcel of the job (not that that makes it any better, per se, but the expectation that they will have to face it is more "normal")...possibly not with a Tube Driver?

But, I'm not saying that a tube driver should get paid more than a nurse, or vice versa - it's difficult to compare vastly different jobs. All I know is that, I find the salaries paid to premier league footballers just ridiculous. They should all donate their salaries to more worthy causes and "survive" on their sponsorship alone - they'd still be better off than 90% of the population.
Well I totally agree on that! I do think they are very skilled, in fairness to them, but the money paid to them is completely obscene.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Well, good on the tube drivers , I say. They are lucky in that they have a strong union legacy who are willing to fight tooth and nail to get the best deal for their members. The nurses union, whilst not as strong as the transport, has done a pretty good job in recent years in securing better conditions for nurses. The teaching unions have proved pretty hopeless , but that's another story...

With regard to footballers, very few 'wannabes' will actually make it and those that do will have dedicated their lives to it from a young age( I know many youngsters aligned to football academies and the time and commitment that is required of them, only to face devastating rejection at the final hurdle) The fact is, talented premier league players generate a huge(verging on obscene)income for their club so why shouldn't they be reimbursed accordingly? Or should it all go to the shareholders?
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

The whole thing is in the national news, so I don't know how a post in this small elevenplus forum, in this general "everything else" section, will have an impact in polarising opinion anything more than what is already in the national news.

I use the tube everyday. A secondary school Maths teacher, obviously on a nice long summer holiday now and likely to be comfortably driving a short distance or walking to school everyday during term time will unlikely know how exactly it feels to be a London commuter on strike day, spare the insult.

Some people have such a high opinion of themselves and wanting to dictate what can and can't be posted or commented by members. Members of this forum are highly capable, informed and educated - they do not need to be shouted at and be told not to post, it is VERY INSULTING to members.

To all of you who responded, thank you, you posts really help.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

YoungSuccess wrote:The whole thing is in the national news, so I don't know how a post in this small elevenplus forum, in this general "everything else" section, will have an impact in polarising opinion anything more than what is already in the national news.

I use the tube everyday. A secondary school Maths teacher, obviously on a nice long summer holiday now and likely to be comfortably driving a short distance or walking to school everyday during term time will unlikely know how exactly it feels to be a London commuter on strike day, spare the insult.

Some people have such a high opinion of themselves and wanting to dictate what can and can't be posted or commented by members. Members of this forum are highly capable, informed and educated - they do not need to be shouted at and be told not to post, it is VERY INSULTING to members.

Well said Young success. I was surprised we were being chastised for commenting on this subject, it has a big impact on your life if you live in London. I felt like I was back at school!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I spent the early part of my working life commuting into London before moving out into the leafy greenness of Warwickshire, living through a set of Tube strikes on the way. Using the Tube on my occasional visits back is probably the most vivid reminder of why we moved!

I can therefore understand both points of view and it takes me back to the the two extremes of my colleagues' attitude to my move all those years ago.

The London ones were completely uncomprehending as to why I'd want to leave such a vibrant city. The Midlands ones couldn't understand how I'd stuck it out for so long!
mad?

Post by mad? »

kenyancowgirl wrote: I am sure it is annoying for Londoners - but they do get lots of perks for living in London
Really? Serious question as a feeling very 'trapped' at the moment. :D What are they? :?:
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Easy every day access to all the amazing museums/galleries/concerts/theatres; exciting vibrant areas like ChinaTown, Soho and Camden. Parliament - very London centric; the Parks; the Palaces and associated Royal pomp and ceremony; amazing fireworks display at New Year; generally excellent travel links....lots more but it's early. I think, as Londoners, (and I have done my share of living there and getting the h*ll out) it is very easy to forget that the rest of the country (and London makes up a very small part of it) experience a very different day to day. When we watch the "news" I lose count of how many stories on the "national" news actually relate to London or the south east area immediately surrounding it...unfortunately, one or two tube strikes, although inconvenient I am sure, to me, it is a case of suck it up buttercup!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Excepting Steve Wright on Radio 2, who I scould slap for being so ignorant about there being anywhere in the country but London, is it not to be expected that london gets more coverage than anywhere else? It is after all the biggest conurbation by far, wih the government within in too, surely we should expect that it gives rise to the most news?

I do agree sometimes it feels like there is nowhere else, but since our taxes go to pay the tube drivers (do they? I could be wrong on this!) I am quite happy to see it covered, and I surely don't see a problem with it being discussed on this forum. The person who told us not to post is very successful at coming in and polarising discussions herself, and indeed popping in on ones that have no regional concern of hers, so I don't think we need to feel influenced by her remarks, and whilst we should all try to be grown ups, the mods are here to stop a discussion if it becomes 'nasty' and quite rightly leave us all to discuss anything we like at free will in the meantime!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

YoungSuccess wrote:The whole thing is in the national news, so I don't know how a post in this small elevenplus forum, in this general "everything else" section, will have an impact in polarising opinion anything more than what is already in the national news.

Again you post to stir up dissent - what unpleasant comments! 'Nice long summer holiday' - again just stirring up anti-teacher feeling - with A level and GCSE results out soon where do you think I'll be for much of the next fortnight??

I have friends who commute every day to London and I didn't shout - it's you are are shouting by using capital letters.

London is well-served by public transport and there are regular buses when the tubes are down. Try living in a rural area with one bus a day before you complain.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:Excepting Steve Wright on Radio 2, who I scould slap for being so ignorant about there being anywhere in the country but London, is it not to be expected that london gets more coverage than anywhere else? It is after all the biggest conurbation by far, wih the government within in too, surely we should expect that it gives rise to the most news?

I do agree sometimes it feels like there is nowhere else, but since our taxes go to pay the tube drivers (do they? I could be wrong on this!) I am quite happy to see it covered, and I surely don't see a problem with it being discussed on this forum. The person who told us not to post is very successful at coming in and polarising discussions herself, and indeed popping in on ones that have no regional concern of hers, so I don't think we need to feel influenced by her remarks, and whilst we should all try to be grown ups, the mods are here to stop a discussion if it becomes 'nasty' and quite rightly leave us all to discuss anything we like at free will in the meantime!
Sorry, Yamin, I'm not sure if we are at cross purposes here - I was responding to mad's question about perks of living in London. Of course the tube strike will be featured on the national news - it caused the capital city to grind to a halt. My comment about the news being London centric is not about the tube strike - this is generally day in day out - I suppose my point is that things happen elsewhere round the country - they probably have a bigger impact proportionally on the number of people living in that area, yet rarely make the national news - flippant comment maybe, but life in the UK is so much bigger than just London.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now