What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by doodles »

I like this thread it's nice to have books recommended.

I've just finished reading a book about decluttering your house, something to do with things giving you joy ..... Not sure I'm ready to implement it in full though I have cleared out a couple of cupboards :lol: :lol: Now I'm reading Tom Jones autobiography which I'm quite enjoying ......
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just finished Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City. It follows the story of 2 American Landlords and their tenants. I found it fascinating, really made me think also, because of the way it was written, you became involved in the stories of the people.

Would thoroughly recommend it.
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

I have started reading 'Burning Uncle Tom's Cabin' by Tom Waters. It is set in the same time as Stowe's classic but is the first in the series of harrowing tales of the other characters and a telling of their journeys. Whilst only an hour into the book, so far I am enjoying it.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Black box thinking.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

It's Complicated. The social lives of Networked Teens by Danah Boyd.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

quasimodo wrote:The one on the back is from Henry Marsh author of "Do no Harm".He states"Every doctor should read this book.......it helps us understand and overcome the barriers we all erect between ourselves and our patients".
This night, the BBC has put on again a hardtalk previoulsy recorded and viewed last January, which shows Doctor Marsh interviewed by Stephen Sackur. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voM2S4sRejM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Dr Henry Marsh's book is a wonderful read by an inspirational Doctor.My initial copy of the book I let my eldest daughter on my suggestion give as a birthday gift 2 years back to one of her flat mates who wanted to be a doctor. She was on an alternative course but by being one of the top five students was able to go onto the medicine course.The second copy I think I lent to one of my brother in laws but not seen since.
I have just finished reading Norwegian Wood by the acclaimed Japanese writer Murakami. I had opened the novel some time back but not gone a few pages.It was one of the books I took on holiday and began rereading it again and finished last week.What a wonderful read about love and loss.It centers on the student life of Watanabe and his relationship with two different women Naoko and Midori. The novel is set in Japan in the 1960's with the backdrop of the student protests. Murakami is a wonderful writer and his translated book will lead me to purchase another of his many books.
I am in the middle of seven brief lessons on physics by Carlo Lovelli. A short book based on his lectures on topics such as quanta and the architecture of the Cosmos.A relatively easy read for a layman.
Waiting in the wings are Hillsborough voices by David Sampson,Grief is Everything with feathers by Max Porter and Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
piggys

Post by piggys »

I don't especially like Never Let Me Go. It's been on the A level syllabus recently (was on the GCSE syllabus too!) so I know it well, but I can't find it in me to care about the characters, although that is part of the story in a way.

Excellent recent reads: Butcher's Crossing (John Williams, he of 'Stoner' fame). Outstanding and brilliant. It's about Cowboys. And buffalo.

My Name is Asher Lev (Chaim Potok) which is about an orthodox Jewish boy growing up in a community where he just doesn't fit in. One of the best I've read in a long time.

The Snow Child (Eown Ivey) which is like a huge, poetic burst of magic. Glorious!

Keep reading everyone..... :lol:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

piggys wrote:I don't especially like Never Let Me Go. It's been on the A level syllabus recently (was on the GCSE syllabus too!) so I know it well, but I can't find it in me to care about the characters, although that is part of the story in a way.
I have to admit the reason why I bought the book was it was part of the OCR GCSE literature syllabus and something my youngest dd may be doing in two years time, others like Animal farm I know well and understand especially through my understanding of the Russian revolutions in 1917 and that period of history.I was looking forward to reading it as I loved the film the remains of the day with Anthony Hopkins and that was based on one of Ishiguro's novels.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

quasimodo wrote:Dr Henry Marsh's book is a wonderful read by an inspirational Doctor.
I concur with you! :D

On the reading front, I have just finished a light and short read which is absolutely hilarious: 'The uncommon reader' by Allan Bennett'. Such a delight of a book! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now