Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Post by Yamin151 »

Unfortunately geocaching doesn't bypass their 'its a walk' radar!! But I fancy that!

But loving the badminton idea - off to see about aht now

Thank yoU!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

we have done geo caching on bicycles before...... But yes, it's my excuse for a walk!

I hope they enjoy. Badminton, my boys always do.

You may also find that your leisure centre has table tennis tables.... Although if you can afford one the are a very good investment in my experience.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

My parents have one, I was just reminded of that when I went to look at Badminton acutally, so we can do locally.

My parents not very close so would be great if we could have a table here but I am not sure we have the room for the play - table 3 m long, so you really need 5m for play......? Wondering about putting it on the drive under a gazebo..........

Thanks again
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have just measured our table for you and its about 3 metres so , yes, you would need about 5 metres. We have am outdoor one ( slightly more expensive) but it means that we can fold it up and leave it in the garden the year round whatever the weather. We just make sure we leave it somewhere where it is unlikely to be blown over in high winds. Our table has brought hours of fun for kids, their friends and even us.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Should anyone be considering buying a table-tennis table as a result of this thread, I can wholeheartedly recommend these folk: http://www.Table-Tennis-Tables.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good prices, superb service and no, I'm not a spammer! :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Twinkle wrote:I have just measured our table for you and its about 3 metres so , yes, you would need about 5 metres. We have am outdoor one ( slightly more expensive) but it means that we can fold it up and leave it in the garden the year round whatever the weather. We just make sure we leave it somewhere where it is unlikely to be blown over in high winds. Our table has brought hours of fun for kids, their friends and even us.
So it's weather proof?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I 'm on a roll now - can you access air hockey ( we got a table free on freecycle but maybe there is one at leisure centre?), pool / snooker or table football?

Ps : you can perhaps tell that I am a mum of boys 8) :roll:
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Yamin151 wrote:
Twinkle wrote:I have just measured our table for you and its about 3 metres so , yes, you would need about 5 metres. We have am outdoor one ( slightly more expensive) but it means that we can fold it up and leave it in the garden the year round whatever the weather. We just make sure we leave it somewhere where it is unlikely to be blown over in high winds. Our table has brought hours of fun for kids, their friends and even us.
So it's weather proof?
Yes. It has a cover for when its folded up but as the shop explained to me its really just to keep the bird poo off!. In very high winds the cover has ripped and we have had to replace it, but the table has been fine. We keep the table folded up between a tree and a fence.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Twinkle wrote:I 'm on a roll now - can you access air hockey ( we got a table free on freecycle but maybe there is one at leisure centre?), pool / snooker or table football?

Ps : you can perhaps tell that I am a mum of boys 8) :roll:
We have table football.

Do you find that the table tennis is spoilt by windy days and it has to be really still before it can work?

I am going to see if we can borrow my parents one.

Oh for a big old shed!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

If there is too much of a breeze then the balls can go off at a tangent or blow back. But we have not had many problems in the summer months. We do have high fences in our garden but although our garden can be a wind tunnel there have been no complaints from the boys. The table has been a huge success in our household and I can't recommend it more highly.

When I was a kid we played in the garage ( with a net over an old dining room table) which obviously meant there was no wind but on the other hand no sunlight....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now