Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Post by Tinkers »

I was also going to suggest geocaching. It's quite amazing how much further kids will walk when there's something to find.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Twinkle wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:
Twinkle wrote:I have just measured our table for you and its about 3 metres so , yes, you would need about 5 metres. We have am outdoor one ( slightly more expensive) but it means that we can fold it up and leave it in the garden the year round whatever the weather. We just make sure we leave it somewhere where it is unlikely to be blown over in high winds. Our table has brought hours of fun for kids, their friends and even us.
So it's weather proof?
Yes. It has a cover for when its folded up but as the shop explained to me its really just to keep the bird poo off!. In very high winds the cover has ripped and we have had to replace it, but the table has been fine. We keep the table folded up between a tree and a fence.
My parents are donating their table to us. Not been used for years and with my mums dodgy knees and dads dowager hump I don't think they are going to be taking up ping pong any time soon bless em, so very kindly passing it on to us. Its outdoor (portable but outdoor) and we have a sheltered spot on a block paved drive to put it. I'm also buying heavier balls that can wthstand a 5mph wind, so hope that might give a little more playing capability.

THank you for the idea, quite excited, off to collect it tomorrow, I look forward to a whole new unmined seam of sibling arguments!! :lol: :roll:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:I look forward to a whole new unmined seam of sibling arguments!! :lol: :roll:
Love it! Swingball was the game of choice for my brother and I growing up - many, many hours arguing over whether the string had reached the top/bottom or not! In fact, I might dig ours out and challenge the kids, if/when it stops raining :( ...

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:I look forward to a whole new unmined seam of sibling arguments!! :lol: :roll:
Love it! Swingball was the game of choice for my brother and I growing up - many, many hours arguing over whether the string had reached the top/bottom or not! In fact, I might dig ours out and challenge the kids, if/when it stops raining :( ...

JD
Oh yes we love Swingball. 10 camping holidays in last 5 years has seen our first swingball wear out (helped by those sibling rows leading to smashes to rival Andy Murray!!), so replaced with new, scarier model!
doodles

Post by doodles »

My two love swing all, and yes it does bring out a whole new seam of sibling rivalry but hey, they have to sort it out themselves, I refuse to get involved. Lots of humphing :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:My two love swing all, and yes it does bring out a whole new seam of sibling rivalry but hey, they have to sort it out themselves, I refuse to get involved. Lots of humphing :lol:
This was my face :shock: :shock:

Then I read your message properly and realised its not about you and dh getting some time to yourselves! :wink:
Sorry if thats rude, just tickled me!! :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Hasn't anybody mentioned bikes yet?
Helps keep up with dogs!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Can't cycle where we walk dogs, and our dogs can't be walked where you cycle! Great idea but our dogs need a rough field walk up hill and down dale where there are no suitable tracks for bikes, even rough bikes. Put our dogs on a more suitable bike track and the jack russell would cheesewire everyone round the legs with his extending lead (he's a runner!!) and the labrador would help herself to any nearby picnics (very politely, but still a bit of a social faux pas!!).

We do go for family cycles sometimes, without dogs!
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Might be too expensive and far away but there are snow domes just outside Brum and I think Milton Keynes - they do non-ski stuff like tobogganing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now