where to get cheap car insurance

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: where to get cheap car insurance

Post by Sally-Anne »

Be very careful about who is the "main driver", i.e. the insured, to avoid "fronting".

It's a nightmare, and there is no clear guidance at all. Whatever arrangement you have, make sure that you tell your insurance company about it, and any changes to it, such as when DD2 passes, so you are in the clear.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yes will do. I am not sure who will be the main driver between me and OH as we are keeping our old car, I suspect it will depend on how we can make it the cheaper (I am the main policy holder in our other car and have 25 years no claims...but it is those wretched points I fear are coming my way...) and then we will adjust out driving accordingly, but it will definitely not be DD1 or 2.
mad?
KB

Post by KB »

There was at least one company where a friend worked out it was cheaper to insure their offspring just for uni vacation. If I see them I'll check but it was a few years ago - could try Endsleigh for this?We found the admin charges for this on ours were prohibitive.

Depending on which of our DCs was at which stage we have had Uni vacations where they weren't able to drive and we stumped up for the odd taxi and/or we or a sibling gave lifts.
As Sally-Anne says, make sure you can justify who you put as the main driver - if DD2 is driving to school for example then they would have to be but if it's only social use for both of you then you may well be the main driver.
As the link article says there are anomalies - it cost more to put a 25 year old on our multi car policy than a 19 year old ( both driving since 17 & no accidents) so don't assume anything!
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry - I need to greater care with cross -posting.

Re speeding. DH managed to avoid points a couple of years ago by doing a speed awareness course. Think it depends on the circumstances of the speeding whether they offer it to you. He said it wasnt too bad an experience. Hopefully there was 'no film' in the camera ;)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Crazy isn't it I have spent the afternoon on comparison sites but have now just asked for a call back form a broker, I need to know what the impact of points might be IF I get them and also for DD2 when/if she passes and none of the sites appear to let me do that. There is no pint getting something that is cheapest now but will go through the roof in 6 weeks time. The uni vacation thing is a great point, and I'll add that to the mix. Assuming she passes DD2 will use it to drive to a sports club on Saturday morning if it is raining and she doesn't want to cycle, and for a while to run errands for me before the novelty wears off. That's one of the most annoying things, neither of them will drive much as we are in London and so don't need to, but because of theft rates the premiums in London rocket anyway. Incidentally all those quotes I have had are for under 3000 miles a year. I suspect it would be cheaper to get them Uber accounts but I would like them to get more driving experience before they are let loose in their own cars for safety reasons, if nothing else.

ETA Sadly I did a speed awareness course in January. Fist time I had been caught in over 30 years of driving. Swore I would not do it again and then...last week...same place...a camera light flashed. Incidentally, if any of you ever use the North circular there is a 30 mph limit as you half way between Ealing Common and Chiswick roundabout on the dual carriageway. There is a sign, but right at the sign there is a camera, so unless you slow down well in advance you are stuffed. Just saying :roll:
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, if you have no other convictions they are likely to offer you a speed awareness course which means no points (I've done two :shock: ). In theory you don't have to tell the insurance company although they did ask when we were taking out DD's insurance and we were including DH (who has also been on the course :roll: ).
Oops, sorry, cross posts on phone!
scary mum
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I insured my daughter with tesco, she had a black box fitted for a year and was only allowed up to 6000 miles it cost £790 she saved up for a cheap car with the lowest insurance rating. We looked at some other companies that were slightly cheaper but they had time restriction too. No driving after a certain time. If I recall rightly that was 8:00 pm. Now that DD has a year under her belt her insurance has dropped considerably even with a newer and sportier car. Luckily she pays for it herself now.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Eccentric wrote:I insured my daughter with tesco, she had a black box fitted for a year and was only allowed up to 6000 miles it cost £790 she saved up for a cheap car with the lowest insurance rating.
Was she the exclusive driver of the car with the black box during the year? i.e. Could we still share a car under such a scheme?
Animis opibusque parati
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes you can share but obviously you have to obey the black box rules as well! The first year we used Tesco black box (awful customer service & problems if you drive around at 31mph). Now we are with Admiral little box which has the advantage that you can opt for a 10 month policy & get a year's no claim bonus after that.
ETA it will be cheaper with you on the insurance assuming you haven't had claims/points.
scary mum
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm insured with Direct Line and it allows me to add an extra named driver up to 7 times in one year. DD was on the policy for a year or so before she went off to university but we removed her when she left and now just put her back on during the holidays. The result was a £30ish bill when she was back for just a fortnight at Easter.

Fortunately I'm of the right 'type' (whatever that is!) for Direct Line to be very cost effective so this works - though this wasn't true when I was younger and living in the south east. Then Direct Line used to quote me eye-wateringly high prices!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now