11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Re: Rugby Union World Cup 2015

Post by Tolstoy »

Oh yes it was :D :D :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH being very well behaved in victory, both DS' very subdued ......

Have to say I think Wales performed brilliantly especially when you consider their rate of injury... I think at one stage they were almost desperate enough to call up that flippin' orangutan that's in the adverts :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yep tenacious I'd say, England did have the upper hand.

Not so well behaved here I'm afraid but there had been a lot of pre-match digs that could not go unrepented.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

What a depressing competition this is for us. Went to Kingsholme and cheered for Tonga. Lost. Went to Villa Park and cheered for Samoa. Lost (badly). Went home to watch England. No need to say what happened there eh?! Went back to Villa Park yesterday and cheered for Uraguay. Lost (very badly, although they fought a valiant battle I thought). Off to Twickenham on 17th for QF1 and following week for SF1; starting to think we should cheer for the ones we don't want! Thoroughly enjoying the competition, although when you realise that the Uruguay will go back to their day jobs (account, farrier, bank manager, engineer to name but a few) and the big boys go back to full-on training and large salaries, you realise that the minnows never stand a real chance of winning, which is very sad.

Have to say some of the South African supporters were awful. There was a large group behind us and they swore really badly (with rascist language), spitting, throwing bits of paper, pushing in the aisles, really loud screaming, booing the kicker, shouting "sit" if anyone stood to let someone out, I kept getting hit on the back of the head by the chap behind me who also tipped beer down my back without an apology. In all my years of going to rubgy games, I've never felt intimidated about cheering for opposition but I did there. The Aussies were a delight. Roll on 17th - hopefully without the Springboks!!!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

That's rather sad about the behaviour as lets face it rugby supporters pride themselves on not having to resort to some of the measures now in place for football :(

p.s at no point switch your allegiance to Wales :lol:

I am a great fan of the underdog and particularly in sport the armature player , like you say unrealistic in the main but so nice to see any small victory over the big boys.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

[quote="Tolstoy"]That's rather sad about the behaviour as lets face it rugby supporters pride themselves on not having to resort to some of the measures now in place for football :(

Spot on. Perhaps it's a cultural thing as we are quite reserved; I say they're boorish, they say I'm boring kind of thing! We took my father in law with us for the Uruguay game. He is a Villa season ticket holder and hadn't been to a large rugby game before. He was astonished at the lovely atmosphere, compared to the usual football one. He loved that everyone is in together with no segregation. He also couldn't get over alcohol being sold without issue, whereas it's normally banned there. The few police officers that were there looked happy or bored, but never tense as they usually are at the matches.

p.s at no point switch your allegiance to Wales :lol:

Never. No matter how bad it gets!
doodles

Post by doodles »

When DH has been working and the boys were smaller I've taken them to rugby matches by myself and never felt uncomfortable doing so. On one occasion a gentleman in front of us who had partaken a little too freely of the hospitality swore (nothing too bad) and the very dapper gentleman beside me piped up "women and children, women and children" in admonishment. I felt very well looked after :)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The Welsh dragons slew the the English lion and silenced us a week ago.I left rather abruptly and meekly from the fans zone in Birmingham last weekend.I am hoping the lion roars again tonight against the wallabies and it is not a quiet ending. :)
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well here we are again then. We've had the traditional curry, ds1 is nursing the obligatory Saturday evening injury with an ice pack and a small cider and I'm worried that if it all goes horribly wrong I may have to become "almost Welsh by marriage".
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Dog hiding under my chair in kitchen, frightened by all the shouting from the 'rugby' room.
Its just a game!! (gets down under chair with dog to avoid ensuing flak!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now