Good automatic car

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: Good automatic car

Post by um »

JaneEyre wrote:
I had for a few years a PEUGEOT 104 but began to have problems and when my DS started a GS far from our home, I needed a car I could rely on. We bought a second hand 2003 Mercedes A 170 CDI. It has been extremely comfortable, convenient and a good car for 3 years… but the gear box became out of order last summer. We couldn’t have it mended and knew that a new gear box would cost a fortune. The idea given to us was to buy a second hand car of the same model to take the gear box from it… The logic of this solution was going a bit above my head… :? Buying a car to take just the gear box? And how could I know that the gear box of the second –hand car would last me for long? :? And I leave the ‘old car’ bought especially to get the spare parts on my drive??? :evil:
That is exactly what some people do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually have friends who have done that :shock:

I feel your pain though. We went through similar with a Peugeot years back. Complete write-off :roll: Final straw was the front wheel actually falling off. I was reversing out of a parking space at a supermarket when this happened. I called the AA to explain that my car was completely blocking the route out of the car park, I was 8 months pregnant and I had 4 small children with me. The operator did not believe me (although it was true) and the AA finally turned up 4 hours later.
I actually still get stressed when I even drive past a Peugeot estate.

After that we had a Toyota Previa (the most expensive car we'd ever bought) which spectacularly failed by breaking down right in the middle of a busy roundabout. Thankfully at this point I only had a baby and toddler to extricate from the car and it was only a 2 hour wait for the AA, although both children were desperate for a nappy change at that point. We did get a new engine for it - and loads of other parts too - and it still didn't work. I've heard since that there are problems with the diesel Toyota Previas.

By this time I actually had shingles from the stress of having to keep borrowing other people's cars (and I had 5 children to drive around - and they were all 5 seater cars, if you get the idea) so we had to scrap it - I've only ever bought cars for under £3K since then and they've all been fine!
Basil

Post by Basil »

Now Am really confused - benz or toyota or Ford for reilable Automatic ? :?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Basil wrote:Now Am really confused
I am extremely sorry if I have made you even more confused, Basil!!! That was not the aim of my post. :(

I was just sharing my recent experience as you were asking about Benz gear boxes...
Unfortunatley, there is apparently some truth in the fact that the Benz gear boxes can give some trouble after some time. :evil: But I can assure you that our Mercedes was a pleasure to drive and has been an excellent car for some time!!!! I like Mercedes cars!! And the seating is first-rate, a detail that my husband enjoyed greatly as he has had four surgeries on his back so far…

Now, I do not know. I know nothing about cars… The Ford we have bought gives us a mountain of troubles and we have probably made a mistake when buying it. :x

Have you checked reviews for a Honda Jazz or a Toyota Yaris?

Please, could anyone comment on these two models of car? :D

typo mistake: I meant 'unfortunately'
Last edited by JaneEyre on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Hi Basil,

The Merc A class or B class from late 2004 don't have fully auto gearboxes, they have 'CVT' boxes which are not as smooth as a fully automatic. You can't compare a C class auto to an A or B class as the C class has a full automatic.

The older A class Mercedes up to 2003 had the full auto box, the LWB model being the best because you could literally fit a giant into the back :)
Basil

Post by Basil »

Thankyou JaneEyre - actually you are helping me in taking a decision . :D
Now i changed my mind and now actually looking for medium /small cars with good auto gear box. I don't want to worry within a few months after buying it.
please don't hesitate to write your views and experience on the different auto cars - advance thanks
Amber

Post by Amber »

Can't keep quiet any longer.
Mercedes C class is my best car ever. Though unlike OP I am a lady with long legs!
Any automatic I have hired before or since has had that dreadful 'clunk' when the gears change, but this one is smooth as silk. Got it second hand 2 years ago and haven't looked back - except a day a few weeks ago when the effortless speed kind of seduced me just too late to notice the policeman with the radar gun*. Now I use cruise control.

* Somehow got away with it. Please don't tell.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: I am going to the garage tomorrow to have the water pump and the motor belt changed… I dream that all problems will be solved… :roll: Big sigh… Maybe we have been had when buying this car… :roll: :roll:
phewwwww, water tank and timing belt have been changed…. The water pump was broken, hence all our problems. Now, I hope that I have no more problem with this car for some time….otherwhise, my brain will 'bubble up' with nightmares of gear boxes, water pumps, gaskets, fans, brake pads and many other car parts!!! :(

I will have to think about a replacement for our good –for-scrap Mercedes class A when I have time… that means in a few weeks... :roll: At least, atm, I have a car which should be OK ... :? I haven't tried it yet on the motorway...

Please, Basil, keep me posted about your good ideas!! :wink:
Amber wrote:Can't keep quiet any longer.
Hi Amber :D :D

I have been missing your posts!!! It is so nice to read you again! :D
waving :D
Basil

Post by Basil »

Now am thinking of Mercedes B or Honda or Toyota ... Again can change :lol:
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

I recently watched the show elementary and there was an episode in the series about the automatic car, which were drived by bad people . After that, I do not want such a car.
When I have an idea to do something crazy - I just do it. All the rest Papersowl do for me!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now