2 night stay South East france peak 2016, been a bit daft

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: 2 night stay South East france peak 2016, been a bit daf

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Just go for it and find somewhere when you arrive. We always do this for stop overs on route or back and have never had a problem. This system also opened our eyes to staying in places we would otherwise have been unfortunate to miss including a stunning lakeside villa with a boat, for a single night, for less than the travel lodge was charging. Your boys are 12/13 now, hardly a problem if it backfires a bit (which it won't). French tourist information centres will search for a room for you in a town you like if you cannot find anywhere by yourselves. Campsites will be more than happy to rent a mobile home or pitched tent for a few nights if they have vacancies by the afternoon you turn up, even if you only get one day then it's a,chance to explore for another day finding somewhere else.
Good luck......I dare you!
You're kidding me, right?????

Not sure...............................I just have this idea of dh and I stressed to the eyeballs, boys arguing and wrestling, then ending up in a brothel with one double bed between 4 and gunfights in the early hours!
Seriously though, really????? I'd love to be bave enough but I am so scared we would end up with nowhere and I'm not sure I could cope with the stress of trying the 7th on the list!!
I really do wish I could though, I love the idea.....convince me................

And pre-pitch tent OK but what about bedding??

Sorry, I'm a wimp! BUt waiting to be convinced (but convincing dh will be a different challenge altogether!!)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Would you have a problem turning up to croyde bay or Lyme regis and asking the nice, fully trained, highly informed tourist info people to do a search of local bed and breakfast family room availability or would you fear "ending up in a brothel" if the latter then no, you would probably get too stressed, if the former, be assured there is absolutely no difference at all. What's the very worst that can happen, the night in a hire car in a service station with a grumpy dh and two boys. (I would be genuinely surprised if it got this far)
We honestly did this with three children under six.....the pitched tent year, gorgeous site, linen pack of course, oh we couldn't get a high chair so had to feed off the knee....a minor inconvenience looking back, but a palaver at the time, the site was magnificent and our neighbours were a retired couple who were touring around and stopping off when they saw somewhere they liked, they had been going for months,they had purchased fold up cycles which fascinated the boys. Our worst was a travel inn type place, dull room, noisy roads, but the town had a lovely bridge as I recall, we were caught in traffic so just stopped driving at the next town, not ideal, we just parked and walked into the nearest place. One year we had mobile internet so phoned ahead on the day, probably the most stressy as we then had to find the place and it was prior to sat navs being cheap, so we had a few heated moments as we looked for the right road.
Honestly not worth it if you stress easily though, it is after all your holiday.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I admire you I really do. You make it sound so simple and carefree. The very thought of us all sleeping in the car (which will be a small hire car) in a service station makes me stressed to think of it. We're simply not good at that kind of situation, and the boys (incl dh) are all awful with lost sleep, truly, they'd be climbing the walls. If it were just one night, possibly, but its 2 nights, not just one.

Would I do it in Croyde bay? This isn't a 'foreign country' thing, I absolutely wouldn't. That also brings me out in hives. We like to be organised and predicatable I'm afraid. How dull!

I can imagine doing it once boys have left home and we drive around Spain ending up caught up in some gorgeous country wedding with an ancient greek matriarch all dressed in black watching us all indulgently as we get swung around by gorgeous young dancers at the wedding breakfast that we just got caught up in............lovely.

In reality, some grubby pensione with a shared loo and a grumpy propriewter would ideed ruin the holiday.

Each to his own I guess. And it sounds like you've had some wonderful experiences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now