No Grammar School in Oxford

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suniljagnani

No Grammar School in Oxford

Post by suniljagnani »

Just wondering why there are no Grammar Schools in Oxford?
hermanmunster

Re: No Grammar School in Oxford

Post by hermanmunster »

Quite a lot of places around the country with no grammar schools.

At one time they would have had some I presume however they will probably have become comprehensives - probably in the 70's . Some old Direct Grant Grammar schools opted to become independent at that stage.
suniljagnani

Post by suniljagnani »

Oxford being an educational hub, do you think quality of education in state school in Oxford is better compared to vast majority of state school around the country?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Like anywhere else in the country you would need to look at the OFsted reports of the schools that interest you. A friend used the state schools there. Her DC seem to be doing absolutely fine however she does bemoan the fact that most of the people she mixes with send their DC private.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Cherwell is an excellent school. It is in North Oxford. They send as many YP to The bridges as most of the independent sector you do need to live quite close to the school to get a place. Often even children in catchment don't get places.

I have two friends whose children go there and they are very happy with it. The brighter ones get a lot of additional support so the emphasis is not just on bringing up the strugglers.
I would not rely on OFSTED reports. They are often done 4 or 5 years ago and schools can change a lot one that time. I would go and look at a school and talk to YP and their parents. It can be hard to unravel GCSE and A level statistics at comprehensives. If I had a brighter child I would want to know that the school streams at least from year 8 in some subjects and beware also of schools that only offer double science and not triple and that have an over emphasis on tech subjects, that is unless your DD is that way inclined of course. :D
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

suniljagnani wrote:Just wondering why there are no Grammar Schools in Oxford?
In answer to your question, there are no grammar schools in Oxford because Oxfordshire switched to comprehensive education (in line with the majority of counties) in the 70's.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

suniljagnani wrote:Oxford being an educational hub, do you think quality of education in state school in Oxford is better compared to vast majority of state school around the country?

Always difficult to know - I think there are quite a lot of people using private schools in Oxford (and Cambridge for that matter)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I imagine there are good schools & bad schools like anywhere. There probably won't be many state school parents from Oxford on here for the simple reason that there are no grammar schools nearby. You will find more on the independent schools threads.
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My friend lives in Oxford. She is hoping her children will go to Cherwell for 6th form but they lived too far away to get in for year 7 entry. They attended state schools for primary but are now at private schools, as are all of her friends' children. She says the state provision, except in North Oxford, is woeful. Obviously that is only her opinion and experience but I know other people (not as well) in that area who say similar things.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

loobylou wrote:My friend lives in Oxford. She is hoping her children will go to Cherwell for 6th form but they lived too far away to get in for year 7 entry. They attended state schools for primary but are now at private schools, as are all of her friends' children. She says the state provision, except in North Oxford, is woeful. Obviously that is only her opinion and experience but I know other people (not as well) in that area who say similar things.
I would second what your friend says despite outstanding OFSEDs from what I have personally seen and heard from friends there is not a lot to be positive about. I am now seeing an alternative and it is mind bogglingly, inexcusably better in every way!