Morrisby testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
logic32

Re: Morrisby testing

Post by logic32 »

Well it seems we are still no further forward in choosing A levels !

Had a parents evening last week and it was confirmed that DS can choose any of his GCSE subjects for A level, which would normally be a great position to be in.

All the teachers emphasised taking subjects you enjoy.

I joined fast tomato and it came up with all science based jobs. However he also had a meeting with a very nice connexions lady today. She gave him a couple of website tests one of which ( what kind of job would you like ) came up with again solely scientific options but the other ( a more interest/ hobby test ) unsurprisingly resulted in history and ancient history.

DS has definitely decided on German. Then can't decide between history / ancient history or both.

Other options include maths, physics, chemistry, biology, Latin or politics.

My thoughts are if he chooses, German, History, Ancient History would it then be weird / useful to do Maths or a single science as his 4th A level ? Or better to stick to a theme and take either Latin or politics for number 4 ?

What I suppose I am concerned about is limiting his options.

The other idea is to choose German, one history, then maths and physics, or two sciences.

DS is getting himself in a right tiswas so he has made an appointment with his deputy head to talk things through but ultimately he's got two weeks to decide.

Any advice / experiences would be very gratefully received
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

We had a "language / science / humanities /maths" combination which worked well!
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks Herman.

Have to be honest that is the way I am leaning as so many more options are left open.
But I think DS is leaning toward the double history choice. Not sure if I should interfere / influence as feel it should probably be his decision.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...However he also had a meeting with a very nice connexions lady today..."

As rare as hen's teeth, these days...not the nice bit, but the fact that there is still a Connexions Worker...unfortunately, she will now be employed direct by the school so any semblance of true impartiality is out of the window but good to see that the school realised how important Careers Advice is (only the Government that has to let a generation go through without careers support, before they realise what a mistake they made....again!)
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS had a careers advice session in yr 11 that recommended that the gentlest soul on the planet become a policeman. Nothing against the police force as a career at all but somebody more unsuited to it than my DS I cannot imagine. :? :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't suggest History and Ancient History as there is too much overlap.

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is free to register and there is an 'interests' questionnaire as well as a course finder to see which degrees match. I am very interested in lots of things but that is not always a reason to study them formally or to follow a career in those interests.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

doodles wrote:DS had a careers advice session in yr 11 that recommended that the gentlest soul on the planet become a policeman. Nothing against the police force as a career at all but somebody more unsuited to it than my DS I cannot imagine. :? :lol:
Actually, the police service is one area where it is really, really important to have a wide range of applicants - people who exhibit empathy can make brilliant police officers - they are not all hung ho, SAS types...thankfully!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now