What to watch ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: What to watch ?

Post by JaneEyre »

I Iove history, maybe many of you do… :)
This afternoon , on ITV4, there is Dunkirk, an old film ( 1958 :shock: so not full of all the modern cinematographic effects), but it may still be of interest for some of you.
Here is the link on amazon for you to read the comments:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-DVD-Joh ... ds=dunkirk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:I Iove history, maybe many of you do… :)
This afternoon , on ITV4, there is Dunkirk, an old film ( 1958 :shock: so not full of all the modern cinematographic effects), but it may still be of interest for some of you.
Here is the link on amazon for you to read the comments:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-DVD-Joh ... ds=dunkirk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like you have a lifelong love of history.This film was done at a time when events were recent in the minds of the British audience for whom it was intended.It is from a British perspective.If done from the eyes e.g.from the many polish officers whose warnings were ignored by French and British commanders it would have been done differently after their country had been overrun with the blitzkreig.

I think its historical context is now less well understood to modern audiences.It is accurate to historical events but being repeated for the umpteenth time.What was a defeat is somehow potrayed as a triumph afterall France had been occupied and large parts of Europe had fallen to facism.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

a programme tonight might interest those of you who have fond memories of the books written by Rudyard Kipling.. or who have connection with the Indian Peninsula :wink:
It is at 9:15 p.m. on BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03k3dd7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

JaneEyre wrote:For Morpurgo's fan, there is tonight on BBC1 at 11:30 p.m. the film 'Private Peaceful'.
As a MM's fan, I am over the moon. :D :D
It is a 12 years old. You can read more info here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Peacefu ... e+peaceful" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The book is fantastic. Has anyone any comment on the film though, having already read the book? Someof the themes might be a bit disturbing for sensitive children, but could also be a way of engaging in some important conversations with slightly older children.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I think one Michael Morpurgo book is good...but once you read more than one they are rather monotonously similar - at least my boys thought so. I quite like the Butterfly Lion, though!

I suppose what I mean is that putting it at that time, it doesn't advertise well - can't really see them publicising it on CBBC "tonight at 11.30pm...." If there aim is ti try and encourage youngsters to engage with his books, why not put it on at the same sort of time as those infernal Gangsta Granny type ones?!
He has churned out quite a lot of "samey" books - of which you can often purchase bulk collections of at ten a penny from thebookpeople!

However, amongst them you can find some real gems, and maybe there's something for eveybody in and amongst them?

Personally I didn't like the look of and therefore didn't read or see War Horse. But Kensuke's Kingd is probably one of the best books I ever read with with my young children.

On the general TV front, I don't know what's happening any more. I am a BBC fan for the quality we have had out of it and haven't too much minded the TV tax (licence fee) to support it. But in recent years I'v e found less and less that I can be bothered to give time to on the box. Maybe online/internet has so much taken over, but finding what suits me has become more difficult!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Call the Midwife has made interesting viewing with the 11 year old these past few weeks. We have discussed thalidomide, abortion/back street abortion, and prostitution. She has learnt quite a few new words!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

For fans of Sir David Attenborough, there is a programme with him tonight :
In celebration of his ninetieth birthday, Sir David Attenborough shares extraordinary highlights of his life and career with broadcaster Kirsty Young, including the inspiring people he has met, the extraordinary journeys he has made and the remarkable animal encounters he has had across the globe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03qxjzj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Undercover! Last one tonight, been fantastic. Great acting!
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

I have started watching Suits and The Middle
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Sorry Yamin, Undercover isn't on tonight as it's the BAFTAs.