Grammar annex approved - 9.95 miles away - what do you think

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Grammar annex approved - 9.95 miles away - what do you think

Post by mystery »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34535778?SThisFB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weald of Kent Grammar school in Tonbridge has received approval from Secretary of State for Education today to have an annex in Sevenoaks.

The two postcodes are TN13 3SL and TN9 2JP. Mapquest says this is 9.95 miles and would take 14 mins down the A21 (the fastest route if there's no traffic jams but can be slow at the wrong times of day).
Amber

Re: Grammar annex approved - 9.95 miles away - what do you t

Post by Amber »

What do we think generally or for your specific commuting question?

Generally - it sucks. A black day for education

For you - go for it if it's what you want.

8)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Aah Amber knew something would draw you out of hiding besides cars. Coming around to your way of thinking myself of late :|

Mind you having a viable alternative on our doorstep helps.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Coming around to your way of thinking myself of late :|
She tends to have that effect :lol:
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I enjoy all your thoughts - mine are more boring, more along the lines of "when is an annex an annex?" Presumably they have been musing over this for a year now. I was trying not to say what I think about it but I think it is very strange indeed.
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:
Coming around to your way of thinking myself of late :|
She tends to have that effect :lol:
Doesn't work so well on the men or children in my life, sadly.

Annex? Sorry what a load of ********. Even Nicky Morgan doesn't sound convinced.

PS - Tolstoy, you missed one. :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kent Online is reporting that a condition of approval is that children at the Sevenoaks site spend some time at least once a week at the Tonbridge site.

I wonder if that really is a condition. It's just not practical I wouldn't have thought.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I am now wondering if maidenhead will get their way?
Another proposal for a satellite grammar in Maidenhead, Berkshire, is backed by Mrs May, the area’s MP. Research for the grassroots party campaign group Conservative Voice has found that 84 per cent of people think grammars are a valuable asset.
The local press has,been v quiet on this one of late.

As the nearest existing grammar doesn't fill up each year due to the pass mark in bucks being too high, and the fact that one of the maidenhead comps is said to be excellent, I do wonder about a)the people who contributed to the 84% survey and b)any justification, other than dummy throwing by locals as both wycombe and slough, it's neighbouring towns, have grammars.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

southbucks3 wrote:I am now wondering if maidenhead will get their way?
Another proposal for a satellite grammar in Maidenhead, Berkshire, is backed by Mrs May, the area’s MP. Research for the grassroots party campaign group Conservative Voice has found that 84 per cent of people think grammars are a valuable asset.
The local press has,been v quiet on this one of late.

As the nearest existing grammar doesn't fill up each year due to the pass mark in bucks being too high, and the fact that one of the maidenhead comps is said to be excellent, I do wonder about a)the people who contributed to the 84% survey and b)any justification, other than dummy throwing by locals as both wycombe and slough, it's neighbouring towns, have grammars.
The satellite proposed is from swbgs isn't it? As a parent at that school I would be concerned that it would change the feel of swbgs from essentially a small local school. Also it sticks in my throat that it's not in Bucks!

On a separate note GMS are now looking to keep the extra class they were forced to add this year ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now