Disney world in term time- no fine

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moon unit

Re: Disney world in term time- no fine

Post by Moon unit »

Completely with you on this Yamin.
Teachers have a hard enough job without people nipping off on holiday mid term. My friends who are teachers report the children who are taken out are the ones who really need to be there.
How does a parent deal with a truanting child when they have taken that child out of school to go to the Costa del Sol?. It is no different. If I nipped off on holiday without taking annual leave I'd lose my job. The principle is no different. It sends a very bad message to children about education in my opinion.It is also jolly difficult for children when class mates return with tales of trips to Harry Potter World with no queues etc.
Makes my blood boil when people try to justify it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

May I am jaded because my children have never had any information about what they missed when they have been ill and no catch up time. I asked them when they retuned healthy if there was anything that did not make sense as a result of the time off, A short answer - no.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mystery wrote:May I am jaded because my children have never had any information about what they missed when they have been ill and no catch up time. I asked them when they retuned healthy if there was anything that did not make sense as a result of the time off, A short answer - no.
I don't deny that Mystery, but it doesn't change the negative impact it would have if we ALL did it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know. I think they're more relaxed about it in some countries aren't they and it works out just fine. It's not like kids off for months on end. Maybe the smaller class sizes while some kids are away can benefit the remaining ones? Could have hot desking maybe and cope with bulges in population without neededing to build new schools? :wink:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-34683128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The case from the Isle of wight heads on Appeal to the High Court.

The whole area it appears to me be in a mess what was wrong with the old system?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am not sure that the new regulation is as different from the old regulation as is made out. It's the interpretation of both that's a bit wayward - some heads were very lax with the original regulation and maybe now some heads are too strict with the new regulation.

I can't find the old regulation now. Maybe if we could have the old and the new side by side on here we'd be able to see exactly what we are talking about without the peripheral flannel which tends to get added around what the rules actually are.

It will be interesting to see what the High Court says "regular" attendance is. I have always wondered. Section 444 of the Education Act is not very new and the definition of "regular" attendance has been vague for a long time. Maybe it's the opposite of the DfE "persistent" absence threshold - which has been raised to 90% attendance or less just this September. So this man would still be let off the fine on this basis.

but then we need to ask what is 90% attendance - 90% over what period? It's a field where there's a hideous number of people being paid to enforce some very unclear rules.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ys-tory-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

A school head in a Primary school suspended for going on holiday in school time after being refused time off by the school governors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-34730214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
mystery

Post by mystery »

:shock: :lol: Then he lied to the doctor and the employer by getting a sick note while he was on a charity bike ride .... taking the **** springs to mind or stupid enought to think that others are as stupid as him - don't know which is worse really. It's the lying that bothers me most. Just be honest and ask for unpaid leave and take the wrap if the don't want to give that either. Awful really from a head. And not the same at all as family holidays in term-time. Children are not employees.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

What's the betting this Head had previously refused requests from parents wanting to take their chidlren out of school for a holiday! :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now