Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:29 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 2606
This is a provacative thread.In a forum in which most of the contributors are women I just wonder how may would survive without punishment in Saudi Arabia?

With the film the suffragettes still playing in the cinemas it ends with a list of countries and the different stages where the struggle for rights continues.Saudi Arabia is at the end of the list I read.Still trying to get out to see the film on my list with Malala.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/eleven-t ... aign=TBROS

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 2606
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34842471

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 5424
Location: RBK
Gender equality
http://reports.weforum.org/global-gende ... /rankings/

UK comes after Rwanda, Nicaragua, South Africa and 14 other countries. but still better than many many other countries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:24 pm
Posts: 19
quasimodo wrote:
This is a provacative thread.In a forum in which most of the contributors are women I just wonder how may would survive without punishment in Saudi Arabia?

With the film the suffragettes still playing in the cinemas it ends with a list of countries and the different stages where the struggle for rights continues.Saudi Arabia is at the end of the list I read.Still trying to get out to see the film on my list with Malala.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/eleven-t ... aign=TBROS


Fascinating, but sad article! Whilst there are still inequalities even in this country, we are so lucky in comparison to most of the world. As the article hints, the inequalities affect the poorest the most, making them the most vulnerable.

My particular annoyance is why men from such a society are allowed to travel to countries where women have freedom? Surely - if they cannot control themselves in the midst of unveiled, freely walking / driving women who use sports equipment and try on clothes in shop changing rooms - they should not be allowed to freely roam in places like the uk!

It is also disheartening to see a seemingly backward step in terms of women's rights in so much of the Middle East, after a period of more freedom having been introduced decades ago. Suppression will surely not be tolerated, but let's hope there doesn't have to be too much suffering and loss of life to regain those freedoms.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:41 am
Posts: 15
It's sad, but for some countries and nations gender equality is just a dream. Men of some nations are so used to domination, that even law can't make them treat women like equals.

_________________
When I have an idea to do something crazy - I just do it. All the rest Papersowl do for me!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 pm
Posts: 2614
PapersOwl wrote:
It's sad, but for some countries and nations gender equality is just a dream. Men of some nations are so used to domination, that even law can't make them treat women like equals.

Unfortunately so true... :(

quasimodo wrote:
This is a provacative thread.


Quasi, how dare you? I always considered you as a very polite and tactful person! :wink:

quasimodo wrote:
With the film the suffragettes still playing in the cinemas it ends with a list of countries and the different stages where the struggle for rights continues.Saudi Arabia is at the end of the list I read.Still trying to get out to see the film on my list with Malala.

At the end of the film Suffragettes, the dates at which women have been authorised to vote in different countries is listed. I was glad that Saudi Arabia was listed... as the last one ... as till now, women there can vote only in local elections and they cannot even drive.

Quasi, I do not know if you have managed to watch the film yet, but it is worth it. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 2606
JaneEyre wrote:
PapersOwl wrote:
It's sad, but for some countries and nations gender equality is just a dream. Men of some nations are so used to domination, that even law can't make them treat women like equals.

Unfortunately so true... :(

quasimodo wrote:
This is a provacative thread.


Quasi, how dare you? I always considered you as a very polite and tactful person! :wink:

quasimodo wrote:
With the film the suffragettes still playing in the cinemas it ends with a list of countries and the different stages where the struggle for rights continues.Saudi Arabia is at the end of the list I read.Still trying to get out to see the film on my list with Malala.

At the end of the film Suffragettes, the dates at which women have been authorised to vote in different countries is listed. I was glad that Saudi Arabia was listed... as the last one ... as till now, women there can vote only in local elections and they cannot even drive.

Quasi, I do not know if you have managed to watch the film yet, but it is worth it. :D


I haven't managed to watch either film yet but would recommend "Lady in the van" which is the only film I have managed to watch since.It was loved by me, my wife and surprisingly my 11 year old. Brilliant performance by Dame Magee Smith amongst the Islington set.Will watch the two films now when they come on TV.

On the issue of gender equality across the world there is a long way to go.As an example, female infanticide is common across all states in Northern India and is a cutural issue as it common amongst all religious communities.It becomes less of an issue the further South you go.Gender Equality if they have it, is only really enjoyed by those Indian women in the upper echlons of society in the major cities.Female infanticide is a similar problem in large parts of China and yet India and China constitute almost half of the worlds population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/me ... de_1.shtml

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 pm
Posts: 2614
quasimodo wrote:
I haven't managed to watch either film yet but would recommend "Lady in the van" which is the only film I have managed to watch since.It was loved by me, my wife and surprisingly my 11 year old. Brilliant performance by Dame Magee Smith amongst the Islington set.Will watch the two films now when they come on TV.

Loved Lady in the van too and read the book. This film lead me to 'discover' Alan Bennett and the books he has written. I have bought the DVD The history boys for the future but I will need to read the book first. One of my rule is never to watch a film before reading the novel/play it comes from as I consider it distorts my perception of the written work...

Here is the trailer of The History Boys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45OsKkHhv90
:D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11956
PapersOwl wrote:
It's sad, but for some countries and nations gender equality is just a dream. Men of some nations are so used to domination, that even law can't make them treat women like equals.


That was once true in the UK - we must all work towards equality for our sons and daughters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:04 pm
Posts: 726
Guest55 wrote:
PapersOwl wrote:
It's sad, but for some countries and nations gender equality is just a dream. Men of some nations are so used to domination, that even law can't make them treat women like equals.


That was once true in the UK - we must all work towards equality for our sons and daughters.


^^

I find it fascinating reading books set really only about 3-4 generations ago to see how fixed gender inequality seemed. (and obviously far more recently for racial inequality).
It does give hope that the dream can become a reality in other countries.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016