Pen

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Pen

Post by KB »

If a child has legible handwriting then I certainly wouldn't interfere by giving them 'rules' but if as in this case they are struggling then showing them some 'tricks' that usually help is surely better than letting them struggle without guidance.

Cursive writing was just a suggestion as it does work for some children.

As with most issues there is no 'one size fits all' solution. It's a question of trying lots of things until you find what works for you.

It's a shame its got to year 10 when there is already the pressure of exams on the horizon which makes it much harder to give the time and energy to the handwriting issue. Hopefully the Christmas holidays might provide a bit of breathing space to try to get it sorted. I do hope it can be conquered without undue stress.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Rather than looking at thedifferent pens maybe have a look at technique? My DD had messy handwriting and wasn't a particularly quick writer. We spent one school holiday working through some caligraphy worksheets, there are plenty online and some great tutorials too. It doesn't have to be 'old fashioned' style caligraphy there are some great modern styles. This meant her handwriting technique improved as well as her speed, she also took more pride in her work. We did this as a joint project together and it paid off for me too.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thank you for all the ideas.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Please do not fret too much about the possibility that GCSE markers will not be able to read your son's work. My son has possibly the worst writting I have ever seen. I have been in tears after trying to read history essay's etc. Every parent's evening I bought it up and apart from one maths teacher, they all said don't worry.
He ended up with A*s and is doing four essay based A levels which all seem to be going OK, I assume teachers/markers are very experienced in decoding scribble.
His shocking penmanship did however afect his Mandarin GCSE as he got a B in some course work and I was told by a very offended lady Chinese teacher of a certain age that he had written, in error, one of the worst possible things a person could write and she could not give him a higher mark. We never did find out what he wrote but have have enjoyed imagining what it could have been.
um

Post by um »

Lamy pens are good, with a triangular grip, and they come in different colours.

A little bit of hypnosis can help too - although this works better with younger children.
My 8 year old's writing was completely illegible, and huge and scrawly. I bought him some new handwriting pens (just the disposable ones) and told him they were magic pens which, when in his hand, would ensure that his writing was now neat, clear and not too big. It worked :oops:

Also check your child doesn't have a physical difficulty - my daughter is hypermobile and unfortunately has poor muscle strength generally, including in her hands. So she just cannot write for a long length of time without suffering pain. The OT has recommended she uses a laptop for longer writing tasks.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Another vote for Lamy pens here. Using one of these has improved my son's handwriting no end, partly I think because it's such a beautiful pen he is proud of using it. Yes cartridges expensive so buy in bulk. Do not go anywhere near WHSmiths for them as they are massively overpriced.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I've recently come across http://kinetic-letters.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which seems to address many of the physical and attitudinal factors that may contribute to poor handwriting. It rather primary school focussed, but might help. Also, painting or cailgraphy might inspire a desire to present better.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks for all the suggestions. According to the recent report released, he'll be alright with his subjects, but he needs to work on the handwriting, so he is going to practice during holidays (hopefully). However, it looks like the whole class has been asked to type their HW for a particular subject.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

Maybe it can be good idea to let him print instead of writing? I think is not a problem nowadays, and I understand that writing is necessary, but if he's so bad in writing, then ... who knows, it might help
When I have an idea to do something crazy - I just do it. All the rest Papersowl do for me!
salsa

Post by salsa »

The Stabilo Easy Original pen is really helping my son. With normal pencils or pens he has a funny grip and all the guides/grips we've tried make his hand ache, so he doesn't use them. Because of the shape of this pen, he has to use the right grip and he finds it very comfortable. I would highly recommend it. You can buy them cheaper on line. I got the last one on EBay for £4.50 and they didn't charge for postage. Other vendors had a minimum to be spent or £3.50 postage!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now