Can someone reassure me why its ok for 12yo to pick GCSEs?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Can someone reassure me why its ok for 12yo to pick GCSE

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm as far from a linguist as you can get, however, makes complete sense! Having even a smattering of Mandarin can only be a good thing and learning even a smattering of Latin is so useful in deciphering words! Glad I don't have to do them though!!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Same here - favourite French phrase was "Je ne parle pas Francais" :lol: But etymology has always fascinated me and I always wished I had the chance to learn Latin... Mandarin must be the language to know in the future, though.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Guest55 wrote:No academic study has ever proved that a three year KS4 is beneficial or that it improves outcomes. Year 9 can contain GCSE topics without the exam syllabus being the total focus and then there are fewer changes in options choices.

There were issues with syllbuses not being ready for the new GCSEs so I'd check what they are going to do if that happens with the next tranch of changes.
In all honesty, no academic study can prove or disprove that as you cannot run both with the same cohort! And, you can see that I have said very clearly that there are positives and negatives with both systems. Certainly, looking at the GCSE results (although, as we know a school is so much more than just results), it is not impacting on the students here to do well, increasingly, year on year. Handled well, even with choices being made at the end of Y8, I don't see that there needs to be changes in option choices. Please be clear, I am not criticising schools that choose to do the traditional two year GCSE syllabus; I am, however, saying that in our experience, of this particular school, the three year course is handled exceptionally well.

JD, as long as we have been interested in the school (about 3 years before DS1 started) they have run the three year course, I believe - certainly it was in place before he started - I have no concerns that they will adopt, adapt, improve if there are any issues with the syllabuses. I notice that new Y7s will be taking Mandarin and Latin as compulsory Y7 languages and then taking an MFL as well in Y8!!
Thank you KCG and everyone. You are very reassuring KCG and thanks for taking the time to make me feel better about KeS's approach.
I think though that my main concern is entirely personal when it comes down to it. There is in my eyes a huge difference about making the choices when you are nearly 14 as approx half the KES boys will be (thought that's still young) and when they are not even 13, as is the case with mine. I don't doubt they will help him get through it, but mush as I felt when we had to put them into reception at 4 and two weeks, I feel that it's yet another example of them being dragged into having to grow up almost a year before many others. They coped at primary and the son at Kes will cope now, I juer feel it's a shame. But thank you to you and everyone else who has had a positive experience of this, whatever age your children.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did not realise we were only looking at one school and my comments were about the general picture in schools I know well.

A study could easily follow a cohort in a large school with half doing one thing and then match similar KS2 data [that's what ROL does] - nearly all schools have seen GCSEs improve so I don't think you can say the three year KS4 is the cause. I've seen the opposite happen wtih children changing their minds and then problems when people move.

My main point is 'are the syllabuses ready for September?' They weren't last year or the year before as exam boards expect a two year course.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

A vote here for a three year KS4. My ds now in year 9 was so pleased to ditch subjects he loathed and spend more time on ones he enjoys.
He only had three to pick himself in addition to the seven compulsory ones. We as parents were told to leave it completely up to our sons. Some parents I know found that hard. The boys had a meeting with a member of the SLT to discuss their choices. Parents weren't at the meeting. Big thumbs up from us all round.
If for instance you hate Latin and have no artistic talent I see no reason to flog away at them for another year.
Maybe if you are brilliant at everything it's harder. We have also been given our first set of predicted GCSE grades this Xmas so the boys have an idea of how they are doing.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I appreciate its been good for you, I'm glad. I feel very sorry if my young son gets predicted gcse grades at, what, 13 and a bit? Clearly worked for you though so maybe more illuminating than pressurising?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It hasn't felt like he is under any pressure in fact feels like the opposite as they seem relaxed about the work because it's spread out.
The best bit for him has been not having to do art and Latin.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
Guest55 wrote:No academic study has ever proved that a three year KS4 is beneficial or that it improves outcomes. Year 9 can contain GCSE topics without the exam syllabus being the total focus and then there are fewer changes in options choices.

There were issues with syllbuses not being ready for the new GCSEs so I'd check what they are going to do if that happens with the next tranch of changes.
In all honesty, no academic study can prove or disprove that as you cannot run both with the same cohort! And, you can see that I have said very clearly that there are positives and negatives with both systems. Certainly, looking at the GCSE results (although, as we know a school is so much more than just results), it is not impacting on the students here to do well, increasingly, year on year. Handled well, even with choices being made at the end of Y8, I don't see that there needs to be changes in option choices. Please be clear, I am not criticising schools that choose to do the traditional two year GCSE syllabus; I am, however, saying that in our experience, of this particular school, the three year course is handled exceptionally well.

JD, as long as we have been interested in the school (about 3 years before DS1 started) they have run the three year course, I believe - certainly it was in place before he started - I have no concerns that they will adopt, adapt, improve if there are any issues with the syllabuses. I notice that new Y7s will be taking Mandarin and Latin as compulsory Y7 languages and then taking an MFL as well in Y8!!
Thank you KCG and everyone. You are very reassuring KCG and thanks for taking the time to make me feel better about KeS's approach.
I think though that my main concern is entirely personal when it comes down to it. There is in my eyes a huge difference about making the choices when you are nearly 14 as approx half the KES boys will be (thought that's still young) and when they are not even 13, as is the case with mine. I don't doubt they will help him get through it, but mush as I felt when we had to put them into reception at 4 and two weeks, I feel that it's yet another example of them being dragged into having to grow up almost a year before many others. They coped at primary and the son at Kes will cope now, I juer feel it's a shame. But thank you to you and everyone else who has had a positive experience of this, whatever age your children.
True, Yamin, but even if it was a 2 year course, you would arguably still feel that your boys are a year younger and they are being dragged to grow up almost a year before everyone else? I guess at some point you will have to make yourself stop feeling that as, at every transition point in education, it will rear its' head. As you say, your boys will cope and I suspect your fears do not translate to your boys as they "just" feel the same as the other boys in their year! Let's be honest, the maturity levels with boys at this age can vary so much that I am sure there are boys with a whole lot less emotional maturity who may have pre Christmas births!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not pleading the 'its not fair' card. They are clearly academically able to cope, I'm not complaining that they are at a disadvantage or anything. And I won't always feel they are too young, but I still feel that 12 and a bit is too young and I wish they were at the other end of the year. The 2 year course would mean he was just shy of 14, not 13, which makes all the difference to me. I wish that at 12 they could be children academically instead of starting on the road to qualifications so soon after the 11+. I can't help that feeling, I don't express it to them, just here. In most things this is getting less of an issue and of course I accept it, or I wouldn't have sent him to this school, but I still wish it were different.
Again, this isn't a complaint about the school, or about doing a 3 year course, or about fairness of age. Its just a mum saying I wish my boy didn't have to choose at 12 years old, mature or not. I think childhood is being eroded.
two of three

Post by two of three »

I also agree that year 8 is too early to choose options. A significant number of children still change schools at the start of year 9, either because of a three tier state system or from prep to state. Several of my friends children have had to select gcse options mid way through year 8 for a school they weren't even starting until the following september. The middle school they were at taught most subjects "topic based", so many of the subjects they were being offered to choose between they had never even studied as a stand alone subject. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now