David Bowie

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: David Bowie

Post by Guest55 »

The Bucks Herald story:

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/more- ... -1-7157850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guest201

Post by guest201 »

"Just a mortal with potential of a superman" RIP
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Anyone who can inspire such a vast diversity of musical tributes - from church organists in Glasgow to scientists working "far above the world" - has to be pretty special!
http://www.space.com/31571-david-bowie- ... tists.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I don't see what all the fuss is about. He was not a Beatle, nor Elvis. Once we are all dead his name, and his music, will be forgotten.
Loopy
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Loopyloulou wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. He was not a Beatle, nor Elvis.
Elvis was a singer, not a songwriter. He wrote only a handful of songs, all but three of which have faded into obscurity. Other than that he fronted other people's talent. David Bowie wrote almost every single song he ever recorded in a career that spanned 50 years; not always with complete success, but the Beatles were little different. (With apologies to Ringo, but Octopus's Garden, anyone?)
Once we are all dead his name, and his music, will be forgotten.
A list, off the top of my head, of artists who died before I became a teenager. All dead "before my time", and yet they all feature in my music collection:

Billie Holliday
Bessie Smith
Glenn Miller
Cole Porter
Louis Armstrong
Jimi Hendrix
Jim Morrison
Buddy Holly
Nat "King" Cole
Dinah Washington
Sam Cooke
Woody Guthrie
Otis Redding
Wes Montgomery

There's probably another 50 if I had more time to think about it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Strange to think that he was only 10 years older than me, when I was a young teenager, he seemed so grown up and sophisticated. I appreciate his music far more now, than I did then. Hearing other people sing or play it, you realise how 'musical' it was iyswim.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. He was not a Beatle, nor Elvis.
Elvis was a singer, not a songwriter. He wrote only a handful of songs, all but three of which have faded into obscurity. Other than that he fronted other people's talent. David Bowie wrote almost every single song he ever recorded in a career that spanned 50 years; not always with complete success, but the Beatles were little different. (With apologies to Ringo, but Octopus's Garden, anyone?)
Once we are all dead his name, and his music, will be forgotten.
A list, off the top of my head, of artists who died before I became a teenager. All dead "before my time", and yet they all feature in my music collection:

Billie Holliday
Bessie Smith
Glenn Miller
Cole Porter
Louis Armstrong
Jimi Hendrix
Jim Morrison
Buddy Holly
Nat "King" Cole
Dinah Washington
Sam Cooke
Woody Guthrie
Otis Redding
Wes Montgomery

There's probably another 50 if I had more time to think about it.
Beethoven...Mozart....anyone?!!!
succeed

Post by succeed »

I heard Bowie described on News-night the other evening as the 'Picasso Of Pop' , which in my opinion, pretty much nails it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

succeed wrote:I heard Bowie described on News-night the other evening as the 'Picasso Of Pop' , which in my opinion, pretty much nails it.
Yes!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

He defined the popular culture of the 70s and the tail-end baby boomers in the way that Elvis and the Beatles did for earlier decades. But his appeal went further. Youngest DD (13) was a bit puzzled about who he was, until I reminded her of the Little Drummer Boy duet he did with Bing Crosby, which she'd enjoyed listening to just a couple of weeks ago. We'd also recently watched the "Dancing in the Street" video he did with Mick Jagger. Realisation dawned. "Oh, him! I liked him!"
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now