Our boys have non smart phones at the mo - as they approach 13 we may give on that one and I wondered how others use their phones and what 'house rules' (or not) others have?
- Do they ever take it upstairs? For limited time or down by certain time?
- Do they have internet access? What controls do you have on that and what they can access?
- Are you happy that they use it on the bus? In the car? On the sofa while telly on? Instead of telly?
- Do they phone or facetime/skype their friends?
- If you are absolutely honest, how much time staring at it?
- I can get smartphone with unlimited texts and a small amount of data for £8.50 - enough to check "insta!" but not to download vids on data plan. Is that enough for your guys?
Interested to find out, my feeling is that many children don't use the xbox/computer much, but when you look into it, they DO use their phones a lot. Not a bad thing, just different, and I just wondered how thats working out for you all.
Obsessively is the overall answer, although not much data as on wifi at home. Until recently they had no data plans but do have them now, but tend toi switch off data when away from home.
My youngest has to leave his phone outside his room at night, but other than that he pretty much is glued to it all the time. I hate it.
Yes they Skype their friends (often for homework collaboration, although more on laptops than phones).
Amount of time spent staring at it - far too much (me too)
Your data plan would be enough for any of us.