How do your little guys use their phones?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

Re: How do your little guys use their phones?

Post by salsa »

I found this article very interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... aydreaming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Very interesting, but sadly doesn't offer any help whatsoever in how to achieve it if you are not a sensible or self regulating adult who has a self regulating teen. Many (?most?) are not and so you either become
Liberal and lucky (teen not bothered - rare!!)
Liberal and in denial (I think its good they chat to their friends, work gets done etc etc)
authorative and lucky (teen reluctantly complies with restrictions)
or
Authorative and not so lucky (teen rebels at every chance, sneak uses, pushes the boundaries, contantly battles about it)

No winners here, thanks Guardian for piling on the guilt/anxiety

And Salsa, not a gripe at you I promise - for ME, a very sensible and interesting read and something I agree with wholeheartedly, so thanks for sharing.......
salsa

Post by salsa »

I totally agree. I think the article is aimed at self regulating adults, but that didn't stop me reading it to my son. He did his homework uni-tasking after that! Result, I hope it lasts!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

That was a useful article to read. Among other things, it made me realise that in a way my life as a school child was so much easier - not computers, no games consoles and no mobile phones to switch my attention to. Nothing of interest on TV either, so the only thing I could do to distract myself was to go outside (which DCs don't do enough of these days, I think) or read a book! No wonder my mum didn't have to check on me every now and then when I was revising for my exams (other than asking whether I wanted to eat something). :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Very true. In a way it is harder for children, on the plus side, research can be much easier when using the Internet. If only it was only research they were doing.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

There are so many things DCs can google in the name of (apparently) 'school research' it's mind boggling... and interesting how some of these things inevitably are found on YouTube or some other similar sites. I don't remember whether I posted this before, but I came across a funny poster with these words on it:

'Respect your parents, they survived school without Google!' :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Too right! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

I managed to do ok with a set of encyclopedias, a fountain pen, a battery radio and one house phone attached to the wall in a cold hallway. I even managed to get a degree with handwritten essays and a typewriter typed dissertation.

Think what i could achieve now :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

doodles wrote:I managed to do ok with a set of encyclopedias, a fountain pen, a battery radio and one house phone attached to the wall in a cold hallway. I even managed to get a degree with handwritten essays and a typewriter typed dissertation.

Think what i could achieve now :lol:
Oh yes, those old-fashioned typewriters and carbon-copy paper... The best thing about them was that you couldn't lose a week worth of work just because a file crashed! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now