Answers to a trivial question please! Present from New York?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Answers to a trivial question please! Present from New York?

Post by loobylou »

My dh is off to New York next week on a school trip.

He wants to buy presents for the children but frankly I can't remember the last time he shopped (other than for groceries) so he needs some help from people who might have been in the past?

Dd would quite like a hoodie/top/t-shirt with some sort of "label" but doesn't know which label she wants... Any ideas what is American and might be considered "cool" by fellow 13+ year olds? Or any other ideas?

Ds is 11 and not at all into clothes, except trainers and he's too fussy about them to buy them when he's not there. What is typically New York that might appeal to an 11 year old boy?
scary mum

Re: Answers to a trivial question please! Present from New Y

Post by scary mum »

loobylou wrote:My dh is off to New York next week on a school trip.

He wants to buy presents for the children but frankly I can't remember the last time he shopped (other than for groceries) so he needs some help from people who might have been in the past?

Dd would quite like a hoodie/top/t-shirt with some sort of "label" but doesn't know which label she wants... Any ideas what is American and might be considered "cool" by fellow 13+ year olds? Or any other ideas?

Ds is 11 and not at all into clothes, except trainers and he's too fussy about them to buy them when he's not there. What is typically New York that might appeal to an 11 year old boy?
My kids love anything from Aeropostale. I suspect it's not that cool in the US as it is a fraction of the cost of Hollister etc, but they love it. Good quality and very good value. There is a big one in Times Square although better ones elsewhere in NY.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I lived in the US for six years and over there it is a lot more common to wear clothing that is branded with sports teams like Chicago Bears and Universities like Washington and New York and Seattle even if you have nothing to do with them! They also have branded baseball caps which are good for the beach and keeping the sun off your eyes on a hot day!

If I was going this is what I would get my dds: branded rugby shirts and sweatshirts.

I would get some Nike trainers for ds from the Nike shop

It is what I would want as well. I am still moaning at my dds for failing to bring me any back from their last school trip. The merchandise they bought themselves is in the wash every week so is well used. It is a regular reminder of their massive lack of gratitude! DG
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Abercrombie and Fitch is a cool American retailer of hoodies etc.

I have no idea about boy stuff from new york but maybe trainers? Or something more novel like a souvenir from teh Ghostbusters souvenir shop - which I believe is open where they filmed it......?

Plastic Statue of Liberty???????!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks everyone. I know Yamin151 - if I'm not pro-active ds will end up with a plastic Statue of Liberty.

Scary mum I had forgotten Aeropostale. That's another name to add to A and F on the list.

DG did your dd's bring back clothes for themselves with sports teams/university names on them? (And can you not steal theirs to wear???!) I am almost at the stage of being able to wear dd's clothes now. We do swap coats from time to time.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

scary mum wrote: My kids love anything from Aeropostale. I suspect it's not that cool in the US as it is a fraction of the cost of Hollister etc, but they love it. Good quality and very good value. There is a big one in Times Square although better ones elsewhere in NY.
My 14yr old DD chose an Aeropostale hoodie back in October - the Times Square shop sells ones with Times Square written on them (only available in that branch).
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

If the budget permits and you're planning to buy a laptop / iDevice or similar gadget, your money will go further over there.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks Readingmum - I'll definitely give him that name.
Stroller - not planning anything like that!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now