Hw do you celebrate?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Hw do you celebrate?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Genuinely interested how people celebrate Valentine's Day/Mother's Day etc?

We are good, as a family, at acknowledging birthday's and Christmas but make a whole lot less fuss over Valentine's/Mother's Day...days that are often referred to as Clinton's (or Hallmark) Card Days, by my OH! That's not to say I don't get flowers or some small token (like tea in bed in the morning) but wondered if other's make more of it?
booellesmum

Re: Hw do you celebrate?

Post by booellesmum »

Valentines day I am happy with a card.
Mothers day a card from the girls and for them to bring me breakfast in bed - the only day of the year I'm not up first!
Presents I'm not bothered about.
My birthday we always go out for the day and have dinner out. This year it falls on a Friday in the Easter holidays so have booked a caravan for the weekend. Can't wait!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oooh...I like the idea of a holiday!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Not sure we bother with Valentine's day - sometimes I get a card, sometimes I give a card, sometimes one of us does or doesn't, we don't really bother. Feels too commerncial but equally an expression of love at any time is nice so we don't rule it out!

Birthdays and Christmas we always do, Mothering Sunday we do and Father's Day because it seems churlish not to.
Last edited by Yamin151 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We don't do Valentine's Day in the Tinkers household. Neither of us like the commercial side of it. Neither of us want to go out for a meal to a place that is full and the service suffers as a result. We don't bother with cards or presents.

Mother's Day is usually around DH and his sister's birthday, so it's usually a joint thing anyway. If DD remembers to do something that's a bonus, but now neither of us reminds her to do anything for the other, it has to come from her.

Having a late July birthday I only ever had two birthdays at school and both were the last day of the school year. I usually have the day off work, though sometimes I have to work.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I love my Mother's Day hand-made cards from DC and breakfast in bed they make for me, but I can't really see the point of Valentine's day. DH and I give each other a card, but I wonder whether we should decide to save the trees instead. Very unromantic, I know...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We don't really bother with VD, not even cards, but DH might cook a nice meal at the nearest weekend but then again he likes to cook tasty meals for all of us.

Mother's Day I might get a card and possibly breakfast in bed from DC, otherwise not really much else. Sometimes we have gone out for the day as a family but we just like to use it as a family day.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My lot make Mothering Sunday very special for me with homemade cards and presents and always a wonderful proper three course meal. No input from other parent either which is extra lovely.

Generally I prefer impromptu celebrations (had one last night - possibly a little soon as it turns out, but it was fun while it lasted) to hackneyed anniversary/birthday stuff when of course you have to celebrate. And I detest Christmas as I may have mentioned...and 'what are you doing for New Year? We must get together...' Why? Why must we?

I am really hard to buy presents for too but reckon I am quite good at giving them. I just prefer to do that on an impromptu basis too and I hate the idea of lists.

...but I have never had a Valentine's card from someone without knowing who it was. I guess now I am too old but I would so have loved that! How sad am I?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Here we celebrate everything. Any good excuse to give each other presents. Valentine's is very close to our wedding anniversary and Christmas, so I feel I need some of those buy 3 for 2 offers!

Mother's Day as well as Father's Day are very special. More presents, going out, special meals, etc.
The children do their "ultimate sacrifice" which is to be on best behaviour for the day, including being nice to each other. Bliss. :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The best Valentine's celebration was enforced on us by our oldest son a few years ago. He made us get a nice take out and then set up the coffee table like a mini dining table and banned his bruvs from the living room, got out and lit candles, sorted out a DVD we would both enjoy whilst munching our treat and then did all the clearing up. :D
The worst one was the first one after we got married, dh lavished me with gifts, cards etc, I had completely dismissed the thought of Valentine's and was left feeling really guilty. :oops: (We get one another little treats now and go out for a romantic meal and a nice long walk one lunchtime, sometime that week)
Mothers day I love hand made cards, they play along still but need nudging by dh.
Birthday I am really not bothered about fripperies but I play along for their sake, I choose a day out for the family that is biased towards my likes for a change.