What would you have done??!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Re: What would you have done??!

Post by PurpleDuck »

It always helps if we already have our own child/children in the same school's uniform in the car, doesn't it - I also offered lifts a few times to boys seemingly lost after school sports fixtures, but then I had my own very muddy DS as with me as a 'proof' that I could be trusted (if such a thing exists in this context), so it didn't even occur to me that anyone would be worried! I just asked them whether they were waiting for someone to come and get them or whether they wanted to be dropped off somewhere... Now, on the odd occasion I pick up DS from school, he usually already has one or two boys with him hoping for a lift :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I tyhink you did the right thing. I might also have rung the school to say where and when I had seen this group of three girls and to expect three girls to be an hour or so late but they seemed well behaved and happy when you passed them.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A few years ago, when in year 6, my DS was attending with other children of his class some science sessions at the local secondary school as they had been labelled ‘gifted in science’. Frankly, the secondary school was 20 mn walk away and the pupils could have walked to the other school. But apparently, money is given to the school for the transport (like all the other primary schools whose pupils were attending these special classes’). So the school used to call a taxi company to ask for two cars. The only problem is that for several weeks, this particular company was sending just one car :shock: . The first time that happened and that only one taxi had pulled up on the school parking, I suggested taking some pupils in my car as I was a helper, but the secretary vehemently explained to me that I couldn’t, due to lack of insurance.
I have learnt my lesson and did not make any suggestion after that :( as it took the taxi company several weeks to understand the need of the school for two taxis at the same time :shock: :shock: ( do not ask! :roll: ). But I do find this extremely frustrating to be forced into not helping by so many rules and laws.

May be it is easier to help old people! A few years ago, I used to occasionally give a lift to an old lady with her shopping bags when I was seeing her on my way. It is true that the first time I gave her a lift, I was waiting for my DD outside her school so that certainly gave her confidence to trust me ( it was a GS with all that implies as 'serious student not up to mischief' and my DD had a lovely and kind face :D... and perhaps also me before age and hardship altered everything :lol: ).
salsa

Post by salsa »

I agree with what's been said so far and I'd like to add that the girls may have got into trouble for accepting a lift from a stranger. The other consequence could have been that they would learn to hope for lifts in future. Thus, not learning the lesson of leaving on time and taking unnecessary risks.
Of course if they were distressed I would have offered to help. Maybe call the school letting them know?
This reminded me when I was 15 and saw that my Maths teacher was offering me a lift. As I was opening the door of the car to get in I realised, with horror, that he wasn't my teacher and that I had to finally go to the optician's!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

JaneEyre wrote:A few years ago, when in year 6, my DS was attending with other children of his class some science sessions at the local secondary school as they had been labelled ‘gifted in science’. Frankly, the secondary school was 20 mn walk away and the pupils could have walked to the other school. But apparently, money is given to the school for the transport (like all the other primary schools whose pupils were attending these special classes’). So the school used to call a taxi company to ask for two cars. The only problem is that for several weeks, this particular company was sending just one car :shock: . The first time that happened and that only one taxi had pulled up on the school parking, I suggested taking some pupils in my car as I was a helper, but the secretary vehemently explained to me that I couldn’t, due to lack of insurance.
I have learnt my lesson and did not make any suggestion after that :( as it took the taxi company several weeks to understand the need of the school for two taxis at the same time :shock: :shock: ( do not ask! :roll: ). But I do find this extremely frustrating to be forced into not helping by so many rules and laws.

May be it is easier to help old people! A few years ago, I used to occasionally give a lift to an old lady with her shopping bags when I was seeing her on my way. It is true that the first time I gave her a lift, I was waiting for my DD outside her school so that certainly gave her confidence to trust me ( it was a GS with all that implies as 'serious student not up to mischief' and my DD had a lovely and kind face :D... and perhaps also me before age and hardship altered everything :lol: ).

I'm glad the secretary stuck to her guns! There is a BIG difference between you as a parent offering lifts to children, as a parent, than to you, as volunteer in the school, taking children, as a volunteer. And my repetition is deliberate there. The former allows you to do this under your normal car insurance the latter requires Class II business cover. If anything happened to all those gifted children in the latter case, both you personally and the school would be liable. :? :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Absolutely.
Can't stress how important it is to have correct insurance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Teachers tend to have this level of insurance so it has never been an issue.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Absolutely, Guest55. And I had it for my work and have always kept it on due to consultancy work. But Jane Eyre was not a teacher and unlikely to have it routinely because as you know you have to additionally request it from your insurance company.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I am not a teacher but am required to have business class insurance for my NHS job, and an enhanced disclosure certificate - does this mean I would be covered??
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

booellesmum wrote:I am not a teacher but am required to have business class insurance for my NHS job, and an enhanced disclosure certificate - does this mean I would be covered??
Yes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now