What would you have done??!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: What would you have done??!

Post by hermanmunster »

booellesmum wrote:I am not a teacher but am required to have business class insurance for my NHS job, and an enhanced disclosure certificate - does this mean I would be covered??
yes on the insurance front but the DBS technically only applies to the organisation re working for .. I have 4 (one for each of my NHS employers )
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I seem to remember someone round here having a huge number - scouts, brownies, school etc etc. I'm not sure if the system is still the same as I haven't had one for a few years, but it seems to be a money and job generating exercise!
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have an online DBS which means I can give a reference number and any 'new' volunteering can see my current one.

https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

What a brilliant idea! :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

According to my DD three of the girls on her bus get off at a sweet shop on the way to school because the bus goes on somewhere else and then returns to where the sweet shop is for a second time before carrying on to school. I have often wondered whether I should tell their parents or not. I haven't done so because I don't know them. I wondered if perhaps their parents already know and I sort of admire the girls for having the ingenuity, but I wouldn't like my DD to get off the bus and buy sweets in the morning before school. Perhaps it was the same three and they spent too long in the sweet shop :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Eccentric wrote:According to my DD three of the girls on her bus get off at a sweet shop on the way to school because the bus goes on somewhere else and then returns to where the sweet shop is for a second time before carrying on to school. I have often wondered whether I should tell their parents or not. I haven't done so because I don't know them. I wondered if perhaps their parents already know and I sort of admire the girls for having the ingenuity, but I wouldn't like my DD to get off the bus and buy sweets in the morning before school. Perhaps it was the same three and they spent too long in the sweet shop :lol:
Why on earth would you tell their parents??????

If I can be cheeky for one moment.....what business is it of yours? I can understand if it in any way was impacting on their safety or another person's safety or well-being, but, and I have a utter dislike of the 'sweetie' obsession, if you told me it was my child I'd be far more horrified with you than with my child! Did you never sneak off to McDonalds? Wouldn't you rather they were doing that than sneaking off for a fag behind the proverbial bike sheds? Please don't ever dob them in!
salsa

Post by salsa »

@Eccentric.
If it were my child I would definitely welcome the call. Although I have brought up my children to eat sugar in moderation, I would be concerned about a sugar overdose before lessons and a subsequent crash a few hours later.
Of course there is the issue of the girls being exposed to potentially other things once they've got off the bus. What if they venture further away?
Having said all that, my eldest went on a sugar "discovery" period when he started secondary and was left to his own devices when travelling to school. He told me all about it, thankfully, but I just kept pointing out the health benefits and the danger of loosing his six pack and developing "moobs". He stopped after a few months. During this period, however, I could often trace him to the sweet shop with, as I call it, Find-my-son. So, I was reassured that the 10 minutes walk from the station home was taking 30 minutes for a reason!

However, talking of calling someone. I did call my youngest's primary school as I saw a boy going in the wrong direction. As he was alone and wearing his uniform I asked him if he didn't have school that day to which he replied he had the day off. The school then called his mum and I have not seen him going to school by himself anymore. Perhaps year 4 was too early for him to be trusted. Personally, I would have been worried about him crossing two major roads, but who knows why he was going by himself.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am with Yamin on the sweet shop one. Goodness if anyone called me like that I would be outraged! I would say 'yes I encourage my children to fill up with as much cheap confectionary as possible before lessons as it gives them energy and saves me giving them breakfast'. I would ask if they had spotted them in the chip shop on the way home too as I send them there for deep fried pies, pickled eggs and chips every night so I don't have to cook because I like to play online bingo and polish my tattoos instead.

I am fairly confident my children do things I wouldn't approve of on a regular basis. I am also fairly confident that they aren't the first children ever to do this (though of course I never ever did myself, being whiter than white from birth to, well, the present day) and that in the long run scoffing a few sweets isn't going to hurt them.

Let's just say I think you have taken the correct decision in not informing their parents, Eccentric. :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I did say I admired their ingenuity :)

If I snitched, my DD wouldn't tell me about stuff like that again and I prefer the long game and maintaining trust. I am pretty sure that my DD also got off the bus with them on one occasion (I found a skittles wrapper in her bag), but have never said anything to her either. I don't think she has done it more than once (but I may be wrong). Doesn't stop me wondering whether I have done the right thing in not dobbing them in though. Different people have different views as this forum has shown and who knows what their parents might think. I think that they all get a bit carried away with sweet stuff when they get a bit of freedom. It is just the beginning of much worse things to come.

I don't think that I would be upset about someone telling me about one of my child's misdemeanours. I think I would be grateful to know. I would still have the choice in deciding whether I wanted to do anything about it. I would take it as a kindness rather than interference.

On a similar subject, I know many parents read their children's diary but I have undertaken never to do so DD knows that I won't and leaves it out in full view because she trusts me not to open it (which I would never do) I don't think I am the snitching type but I do think…I do wonder… don't we all? It is the thinking and the wondering that helps us to rationalise and make decisions? And my decision rightly or wrongly was to keep stum and still is.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

For a group of students in school uniform on the streets in school hours I would simply call the school and mention it to them - unless it was around lunchtime. If students seemed distressed I would speak to them and then call school. If I had unlimited time another option would be to offer to wait with them until collected but that would be in unusual circumstances and only if distressed and on speaking to school they suggested I wait. I think those kind of situations you judge on the day.

For the girls stopping off at the sweet shop - their parents may know already and may be fine with it. I think it is unnecessary to be even thinking about these girls. What about children who have a handful of sweets in their pockets that they got from home or from shops at some other time ? Just because these girls are openly shopping at the sweet shop it does not mean they are different from other children - it is their choice - even if we think it is unhealthy - children can make unhealthy choices elsewhere... and these girls get back on the bus and get to school on time so clearly leave in time to go to the shops and get to school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now