'A four foot box...'

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

'A four foot box...'

Post by ToadMum »

'...a foot for every year'.

DS1 and I came home a short time ago from a spot of lunch and shopping to find Seamus Heaney's poem 'Mid Term Break' being read out on Radio 4. I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of Heaney, or of much poetry in general ( :shock: , I know. Sorry.), but this piece brings me up short every time. Similarly the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, Dido's Lament and Christina Rosetti's Song. The first time I heard the Beethoven, I was driving and just had to pull over and stop to listen to it. (Fortunately it was quite early on a Sunday morning and few other drivers in the particular bit of south east London through which I was driving were up and about at the time :lol:) .
Last edited by ToadMum on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Re: 'A four foot box...'

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1.....I studied Heaney (and actually quite like him...a friend of mine knew him so I got to "interview" him!) But 4 foot box in particular puts a lump in my throat.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A very poignant poem indeed... :( Thanks for sharing , Toadmum! :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is even more unbearable because it is actually true.

It was his younger brother Christopher who was hit by a car at the age of four.

It has in the past been part of the GCSE syllabus but not sure they can really understand all the bit about adults just not knowing what to say unless they have been through loss themselves.

It is such a wonderful example of the power of literature to impact you. I find it really sad when I hear of students hating English.

English is about our human experience and sharing the pain and joy. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote: I find it really sad when I hear of students hating English.

I think what they usually mean is they hate English lessons - I had some terrible teachers that would suck the life out of anything we read by analysing it [from only their point of view] to death.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote: I find it really sad when I hear of students hating English.

I think what they usually mean is they hate English lessons - I had some terrible teachers that would suck the life out of anything we read by analysing it [from only their point of view] to death.
I had much the same experience, with the added joy of having the teacher single me to read out loud in just about every lesson. I even kept a tally to check it wasn't my imagination. Being dyslexic, reading something I haven't seen before out loud is seriously not my idea of fun and not easy.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

It was on 'Open Country' this afternoon. The girl talking about it was fantastic. Well worth a listen.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

RedVelvet wrote:It was on 'Open Country' this afternoon. The girl talking about it was fantastic. Well worth a listen.
Thanks - I turned the radio on after the programme had started. I think the girl said that she went to the same school? I may have misheard that, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Yes she did. There were lots of local people interviewed, including a teacher who was one of the first to start teaching Heany in the 1980s.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hating and finding the empathy/message/content difficult or discordant are often confused in Literature and Prose. I used to think I hated Sylvi Plath. I think I still do as I believe her method of conveying the message never really resonated with me and I still blame her for my dislike of any lampshade, however I do respect her ability to have conveyed something so thoroughly awful to me that it has stuck with me to this very day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now