Woodburners / Stoves

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Re: Woodburners / Stoves

Post by Hera »

The output depends on the size of your room and there are various online calculators if you haven't already found them. Ours is an 8 but it is a fairly big room and you can regulate the temperature.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Amber wrote:
Love ours. Currently got my Easter branches and Scandinavian decorations and things in front of it on the hearth though - I always think flowers look nice in front of it when you don't need it on.
I hate the cold, ours is still lit every night, probably for the month. :oops:
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

As to lighting the fire, we've recently come across a new method. Valley and bridge.

You layer logs on the bottom of the woodburner, nice and flat. Then use two logs to make a valley, stuff the valley with tightly scrunched up newspaper, then make a bridge out of kindling over the top. This seems to work much better than the usual pyramid, something to do with gases being released from the layer of wood underneath.
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedVelvet wrote:
Amber wrote:
Love ours. Currently got my Easter branches and Scandinavian decorations and things in front of it on the hearth though - I always think flowers look nice in front of it when you don't need it on.
I hate the cold, ours is still lit every night, probably for the month. :oops:
Yes now I would and the cats would. But I live with a man whose favourite phrase is 'It's like an oven in this house' and three children who have inherited the hot gene. So it is a bit of a losing battle - fought round the thermostat in the hall and carried over to the log basket.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh I'd hate that! Fortunately I live in a house where the three males, to say nothing of the dogs, are as keen on being balmy warm as I am! Trouble is, that warmth is not extended upstairs, whcih is cold and feels damp. I'm afraid after 10 years here we are giving in and extending the central heating that we don't use downstairs, but will use upstairs. Boys of 13 need some privacy without freezing, though, come to think of it, maybe when they are 17 and with a girlfriend I'll turn it off again :lol: :lol:
Trouble is, we have no ceiling voids and lots of beams, so this extension of heating no easy task and very expensive!