School shoes. A challenge for you

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

School shoes. A challenge for you

Post by Tinkers »

Ok your mission should you choose to accept it.

I need a pair of black shoes for DD for school. She wants Velcro straps or slip owns, not lace ups (too long to put back on after assembly apparently) that have soles that are thicker than tissue paper so will actually last more than a couple of months before wearing through.

She is size 5.5 and her feet have stopped growing so I'd like to get a pair that might actually last. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for a pair with reasonable foot support and a decent but not chunky sole that might actually withstand my DD.

I don't know what she does to her shoes, but she claims to just walk to and from the bus stop and around school. Whatever it is she completely wears through the soles in a very short space of time because the soles are so flimsy. It's not like she spends time climbing trees after school, as she did at primary school either.

Her walking shoes from decathlon have lasted 3 years and she wears those the rest of the time.

So folks, does this mythical everlasting school shoe exist? If so can someone please point me in its direction? Please?
doodles

Re: School shoes. A challenge for you

Post by doodles »

Dr Marten Mary-Janes are very popular around here, see lots of girls in variations of them. Sorry I couldn't copy the link but they pop up on google - not bad for a boys only household :?: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/ind ... 45835.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have a constant battle with school shoes current ones for youngest dd purchased from Next lasted two terms.Previously had the excuse she would play football with them at lunchtimes.Our experiences with Clarks have been the best.Now need to find fashionable ones.The above link may help.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
doodles

Post by doodles »

Looking at those I do think girls get a rough deal when it comes to school shoes. Their shoes seem to become " fashionable" at a much younger age.

The quilted pumps look very nice for an evening out but not for all day at school. At least with boys it is slightly easier to get something a more hard wearing (until they become trendy teens that is) and that's been made with the playground in mind.

Goodluck Tinkers.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I can testify to the strength of the soles of DMs. I had a pair which lasted about twenty years and that I wore A LOT. They're a bit chunky, but if Miss Tinkers doesn't mind a slightly alternative look, there is a selection of black slip ons and Mary Janes on the Doc Marten website which would do the trick I think. Not cheap mind. But then if you don't have to buy more pairs, would give you a saving in the long term.

Happy hunting! (My mum always said that the WORST part of being a mum to two girls was the shoe shopping bit of it).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD is on her fourth school year in 'lo' Kickers, which have brilliantly hardy soles. However, hers are lace-ups (she just destroys the backs putting them back on after assembly :twisted: ). However, my main gripe is that the current pair was a 'distress purchase', some fairly crucial stitching in her Clarks ones having got 'rubbed out', and I had to pay twenty quid more for them locally than I would have needed to had I had time to order them over the Internet.

My school was a bit more civilised; we all had chairs in the main hall, rather than having to sit cross-legged on a basketball court...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

DMs seem to be having a bit of a resurgence probably because they are so comfy, I may have to reinvest next winter :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Why do they take their shoes off in assembly?
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:Why do they take their shoes off in assembly?
In DD's school, one of the reasons is that the only space just about large enough to accommodate the whole school is the sports hall, for which you need non-marking soles. And stockinged feet are more convenient than having to change into indoor trainers and back again.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marigold

Post by marigold »

At the risk of sounding indelicate, there must be quite a whiff in that hall during assembly. I once had to supervise 30 girls in a drama studio which required stockinged feet and I nearly passed out.
On the original point, another vote for DMs , my very fussy and style concious eldest DD is a nurse and has been very happy with their Mary Jane style which still look like new after nine months on the wards.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now