Osgood Schlatters Disease

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Osgood Schlatters Disease

Post by KB »

One of my DCs had to switch temporarily from running to cycling but that was many moons ago.
It's not got the thrill or team experience that your DS may be seeking but for my DC it dealt with the low moods and they made of use of it some years later.

It's much easier said than done but when our ( numerous and varied ;) difficulties have appeared we have tried to look on them as a challenge and come out of them with something learned. Maybe for your DS it will be a new interest or to gain more insight into his physical and mental well-being or something as yet unimagined!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks Yamin. It can be a roller coaster and for us there are permanent consequences but positivity has to rule in the end - there are always people so much worse off. For a young person who loves being very active it can be really challenging (we had 12 weeks non-weightbearing) but it does go by quickly and then things can improve. It is amazing what can still be done on a pair of crutches (table tennis with one leg on a chair for example!).

Re knees- mine are awful and I have finally given up all weight bearing sport after a foolish adventure in running after I came out of hospital earlier this year. I can second what others said about swimming - avoid breast stroke as it is an absolute killer on the knees. Both types of crawl are great though; and I also find I can cycle as long as I use one of my kids' road or hybrid bikes rather my old heavy one.

One of my sons went through a phase of using little arm weights too. I am not sure about the guidelines for young people but I think you might find he enjoys working out in front of a mirror with them - just check on the advisability. I am sure when mine did it it was probably in the 'not advisable' category but it didn't seem to do him any harm!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi Yamin, hope you are feeling more positive now about this. A couple of DS's friends have had this and DS had a similar thing in his heels. As KB said the main thing is to heed the pain and stop if it hurts - for DS squash was out for 6 months as was football, but cricket was fine and he just overdosed on time in the nets.... Physio exercises were very helpful (though boring of course!) and you might want to see a podiatrist and osteopath.