Osgood Schlatters Disease

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Osgood Schlatters Disease

Post by Yamin151 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Poor you and him, Yamin. :(

You may find that stopping Parkour improves things enough that he can still carry on with the rest of his sports. Parkour is exciting but it is very hard on the joints, especially when it goes wrong. DS did it for a while but after the 3rd or 4th injury to his knees and ankles even he decided to call time on it.
It has definitely got much worse since starting Parkour, and yes, I am hoping that stopping that may be enough, I guess we'll see - it is very hard on the joints. Such a pity.

Thank you. Sorry to hear your son had injuries, Parkour looks such fun
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

PurpleDuck wrote:Yamin, I'll PM you.
Thank you Puprple Duck, anything you can offer advice wise will be much appreciated
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:So sorry to hear that Yamin.

I also know boys who've had this and, with rest, they have been able to take up sport again after a year or so.

It is a warning to the body so think positively - no permanent damage has been done yet :)

At least the rugby season is over at school.
Yes, rugby stops all round soon, and I'm hopeful if he takes a break from the parkour it may give his knees a rest.
Thank you G55
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mad? wrote:Big hugs Yamin. DD2 had this in Y7, she too was small (tiny in fact) and a gymnast (5 days a week) so it had a huge impact on her life at the time and I was distraught for her BUT, lots (and I mean LOTS) of physio and some serious rest meant that after 6 months or so things were back to normal. She wore a special knee strap and maintained some exercise, largely S & C, so that when she 'came back' she was not too far behind. It was a total pain, but they do grow out of it, once the tendons have had a chance to catch up with their bone growth. Good luck.
Hi mad, thanks for this - interesting that your tiny DC got it too - gymnastics similarly hard on the joints, and I think he puts in 150% all the time which puts a lot of strain on him - I bet your daughter was the same.

Can you tell me more about physio (did you get referred, go private, just do exercises from advice etc etc?) and also, what was the knee strap you mention?

Thank you
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I've answered you all individually above. I feel virtually group hugged. Thank you so much
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Just finished typing, you should have my PM in your inbox. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Yamin - first don't panic! Always scary to get a diagnosis and god knows - we know about that!.....................................................................................
Chin up!
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis particularly when its your child.

Remain positive and forward looking and don't let anything get you,your son and the rest of the family down.A lot of the battle to getting better is to believe your child will get better.Positive thoughts please.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Yamin,

Yes of course. I've PM'd you.
mad?
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Hi Yamin

Like mad my DD had it. She was also smallish, less so know, and did 6 hours of gymnastics a week. It was actually her coach who picked it up and told us to go to the Dr. She had to rest it, she had some physio exercises which involved lots of stretching and we also saw a paediatric osteopath who also worked on her. She said that she usually saw it in teenage rugby boys and not tiny, slips of girls.

She did carry on training and they altered what she could do to prevent aggravating it and did lots of focus on stretching which meant once she could exercise fully it wasn't a complete shock to the system.

Currently she has a bone chip in her elbow which prevents her straightening it and bending it completely along with pain. Again her coaches have altered her training to compensate and once she has finished being treated she will not have fallen too far behind and has maintained some of her fitness.

Look at it this way, at least he is learning to look after his body and he will learn some new ways to look after it and at some point he will grow and fit his muscles.
Amber

Post by Amber »

One of the most sporty girls I know had this diagnosed at 13. I don't think it stopped her doing very much for very long and now at 17 she plays at county level in 2 different sports. I think it is usually short-lived, it is very common and as the website I just looked it up on to confirm it's what I thought it was says,
Osgood-Schlatter disease (OSD) is far less frightful than its name. Though it's one of the most common causes of knee pain in adolescents, it's really not a disease, but an overuse injury...
As a parent of a very sporty daughter who has lost many many months to injury and surgery, which have permanently reduced her ability to do the sports she loves, I can sympathise. But it is only temporary for you and it will go by quickly.

If he tends to self-pity, show him the news about James Taylor yesterday. Perspective always helps. But kids do adapt and become very resourceful - it's Mums who worry.

Don't panic Yamin. He will still be able to run rings round you. :D
Best wishes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now