Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Light weight vacuum cleaners

Post by Amber »

Hera wrote:
Amber wrote:Miele always. Cat and Dog.
Do you mean the upright one as I've been looking at it, but was put off by reviews saying how heavy it is?
Nope. I don't like upright ones after a brief affair with a Dyson some years back. Though in that case I did keep my clothes on, I found it really heavy, it kept breaking and worse, I needed sunglasses just to look at it. Our is one of these
Image (took that while travelling on the tube a few weeks ago - after it was again voted best vacuum cleaner by Which?) and we have had it ten years - still like new. (I realise that isn't the best picture but you get the idea!).

I admit that we had the same model before and our builders ruined it by vacuuming up pieces of wall with it when they were knocking two rooms into one. We should have got the Cat, Dog and Builder model, obviously. We have loop carpets now so don't use the brush you refer to TM. This cleaner is light and manoeuvrable and just easy to use, but I am a huge fan of all things Miele (our dishwasher is 17 years old, washing machine about 10 and tumbler similar) - expensive initially but in the time friends have bought two or three ours are still going strong despite 3 outdoorsy teenagers and a husband with scrubs every day.
Amber

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote:Son number one gets paid three pounds every Saturday to Hoover the stairs with Henry....a bargain!
Paid? Gosh. I expect my lot to do this kind of thing for nothing. They do too; so I hope they're not going to read this. £3 is a lot of stairs I would say!

As for spotless floors for babies? No, never did that either. I always thought it somewhat amusing that you're supposed to sterilise all their plates and bowls when they start eating, yet they spend their time with your car keys, the cat's dinner or someone else's finger in their mouths.
salsa

Post by salsa »

silverysea wrote:I think it's really terrible that people choose and then go out and buy a Hoover, without considering how they are going to get it from upstairs to downstairs, and back again.

Even worse, they then come on this forum and expect other people to share their online research, and experiences, instead of doing it for themselves!

Catch a grip, people!

8) :lol: :lol:
Hilarious analogy to choosing a school! Well done! :lol:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you suntans loud, the vacuum you recommended looks really good, I really appreciate you suggesting it. I'm due any day now and lugging a vacuum cleaner has done my back in. I'm afraid I'm not as clean as I may sound, I want the floors to be spotless but they rarely are and babies have a horrible tendency to pick up every crumb off the floor.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Sorry I meant sun and clouds.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:Son number one gets paid three pounds every Saturday to Hoover the stairs with Henry....a bargain!
Paid? Gosh. I expect my lot to do this kind of thing for nothing. They do too; so I hope they're not going to read this. £3 is a lot of stairs I would say!

As for spotless floors for babies? No, never did that either. I always thought it somewhat amusing that you're supposed to sterilise all their plates and bowls when they start eating, yet they spend their time with your car keys, the cat's dinner or someone else's finger in their mouths.
Another Bad Mummy tip, here, as we were often 'out and about' when ours were babies. There is absolutely no worry about sterilising things if you just feed them straight from the jar... Ours never fussed about whether things were warmed up or not, although just for variety's sake I did sometimes ask for things to be heated up if I decided to stop for a coffee at a baby lunchtime. Was slightly concerned once when 6 month old DD's stuff was returned to me decanted into a cup, but it was so hot that any lifeforms that had previously been enjoying their existence on said crockery must have been nuked out of existence after about the first five minutes in the microwave :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote:Another Bad Mummy tip, here, as we were often 'out and about' when ours were babies. There is absolutely no worry about sterilising things if you just feed them straight from the jar... Ours never fussed about whether things were warmed up or not, although just for variety's sake I did sometimes ask for things to be heated up if I decided to stop for a coffee at a baby lunchtime. Was slightly concerned once when 6 month old DD's stuff was returned to me decanted into a cup, but it was so hot that any lifeforms that had previously been enjoying their existence on said crockery must have been nuked out of existence after about the first five minutes in the microwave
My children reckon that their resistance to bugs now (they rarely catch anything, touch wood) is down firstly to my cavalier attitude when they were small (my friend gave me her old steam steriliser and it broke when DD was about 8 months old and I never replaced it :oops: ) and also the fact that when they were about 7, 5 and 3 we suffered terrible flooding in the village and the contents of the local sewerage works ended up in the stream at the bottom of our garden. Our children were out in wellies and waterproof suits wading about in it all, building bridges etc. I didn't realise - just thought it was a lot of water- until a friend who works in environmental health came over with her kids and said er, maybe this isn't the very best idea. By then such damage as had been done, had been done, and no one seemed to suffer for it. My daughter likes to tell this story as if it were a positive parenting choice ('Mum let us play in raw sewage') rather than a terrible accident.

There you go JaneEyre, another one for you :)

Good luck with the birth MamaBear. You must be so young. :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

I was just thinking the same about you mamabear, enviably young. Good luck with this one.

I have to admit that once bottles were finished with I wasn't the greatest of sterilisers :oops: but my ds's seem fine, they also survived the cats (with us before either of them and still here even though one is allergic :oops: :oops: ) , the major building works and the river at the bottom of the garden.

I do vacuum every day for the sake of allergic DS (interestingly he's relatively ok with our cats and is far worse with other people's cats :? ) and my Henry/Hetty has the hepa filter for animal hair.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Better to introduce the youngsters to germs - it builds their immune systems, as I am sure you are aware. I also made sure I ate nuts during my pregnancy in the hope that it would protect him from any allergies .. but all that seems to have achieved is that he hates nuts :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A friend swears by these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... qphvppf2_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though unfortunately they don't do stairs. :lol: if daleks can do it, then why can't vacuum cleaners?

I have a dyson and a DD for vacuuming though, she doesn't get £3 but after doing that and a number of other chores yesterday without compliant she got a raspberry and white chocolate muffin.

I'm also in the slummy mummy brigade.
I was advised not to eat nuts during pregnancy, as there's a lot of family history of hay fever, asthma, eczema etc on my side and DHs cousin is allergic to nuts.
DD doesn't like them either. I've heard that the advice has changed since and that you should eat them. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now