Girls, boys and harassment at school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Girls, boys and harassment at school

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you, JaneEyre. :D
The article hides behind a subscription wall, so if you can't see it, here is the main part of it:
Sexist advertisements that put pressure on people to conform to “unrealistic body images” have been banned from appearing on London’s Tube and bus network by the city’s new mayor. Sadiq Khan said on Monday that Transport for London will no longer accept ads that could damage people’s confidence in their bodies.

The ban comes after more than 70,000 people signed a petition against a poster on the London Underground asking “Are you beach body ready?” and accompanied by a photograph of a woman in a bikini. The ad, for a slimming aid, made women “feel physically inferior to the unrealistic body image”, the petition said.

Mr Khan, the father of two teenage girls, pledged the ban during his election campaign. “I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end,” he said.

The mayor has asked TfL and its commercial partners, Exterion Media and JCDecaux, to establish a steering group to keep its advertising policy under regular review. (...)

The Advertising Standards Authority, the self-regulatory body for the UK ad industry, received almost 400 complaints about the Protein World poster last year but ruled that the ad did not breach its guidelines. The regulator said on Monday: “TfL’s decision to prevent ads that it considers inappropriate is entirely at its discretion."
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I've found a link to an interesting article on Twitter, 'How “likes” affect teenagers’ brains': http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... /te/bl/ed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It came up with subscription box covering the article, but I just closed it and was able to read the whole text.

It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:cry: On this subject. I bought my Dd some socks for school. She has been wearing tights until now this year and she hasn't worn the socks. She said yesterday that she won't because her legs are hairy (not that I can see), and that everyone in her class shaves their legs! :roll:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

"I wasn't sure it was normal to watch it" - NSPCC report on teens and p*rn came out yesterday. Scary stuff ...

JD
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

JamesDean wrote:"I wasn't sure it was normal to watch it" - NSPCC report on teens and p*rn came out yesterday. Scary stuff ...

JD
It is indeed!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Just seen this on my Twitter feed,

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... n-evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is just as bad sexism in a single gender school - in fact I've seen more pressure to 'conform' to gender stereotypes.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

This post is NOT about harassment at schools but about the dangers of grooming and ******** exploitation. I have to say that I have not watched the film nor do I intend to watch it as my DD is a happy married wife now and grim films about horrific suffering are not my cup of tea. But maybe there are some parents out there who think this film could be useful for them to warn their DD about the dangers of grooming and ******** exploitation. So I am just passing the information in case this could be useful to a parent somewhere in the country.

Leicestershire Police: Kayleigh's Love Story - Full film live now

Kayleigh’s Love Story is a film about aspects of the last 13 days of the life of 15-year-old Kayleigh Haywood.

The Leicestershire schoolgirl was groomed online by Luke Harlow, a man she had never met, before being raped and murdered by his next door neighbour Stephen Beadman.

The film has been made to serve as a warning to children and adults of the dangers of grooming and ******** exploitation following Kayleigh’s tragic death in November 2015.

Visit https://leics.police.uk/kayleighslovestory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for information on the dangers of speaking to people online, online grooming and to show your support for our CEASE (commitment to eradicate abuse and ******** exploitation) campaign.

edited to add PS: the stars are this adjective: s.e.x.u.a.l
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now