Healthy alternatives to chocolate

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Healthy alternatives to chocolate

Post by PurpleDuck »

A little bit of fun - a quiz testing your knowledge of various chocolate facts! :D

http://www.webmd.com/***/rm-qu ... sR5hU7Q%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I only got 56% correct :oops: )
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I got 63% :oops: (I blame the fact that it was a USA quiz :oops: - what is a Graham Cracker?)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

hermanmunster wrote:I got 63% :oops: (I blame the fact that it was a USA quiz :oops: - what is a Graham Cracker?)
I don't know, but it's in lots of American recipes. I kind of assume it's a bit like a digestive but I'm not sure why I think that!
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It is similar to a digestive biscuit, though I think they are square.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think it is a type of grain (?wheat) - we have (had) a variety of breakfast cereal here called 'Golden Grahams'. And 'Cinnamon Grahams', but a definite 'Yuk!' from me there :evil: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_cracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Made with something called graham flour, hence the name.

If you follow the link there to digestive biscuits, Graham crackers are mentioned.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We bought some Graham crackers in America when one of the kids was sick as we thought it would be a good introduction back to food. I found the opened packet at the back of the cupboard more than a year later and they hadn't degenerated or gone off in any way. Makes me wonder what they put in them (like a lot of American food, got to be honest).

I don't really like chocolate or sweet things. As a child I did but now really not interested - I wonder how that happens. Is it one of those gut bacteria things? I would never choose a chocolate-based or flavoured dessert, in fact I usually skip desert. Am totally hooked on starters though and often find it hard to choose from several (just in case you thought I was trying to make myself out to be some kind of saint).

MamaBear - be kind to yourself when breastfeeding. Surely not the time for dieting or cutting back or anything like that, is it?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I wonder if "graham" flour is actually "gram" flour, as used in Indian cuisine? I wouldn't put it past the Americans to change the name to make it easier to say!! :wink:

Amber - snap - I do not have a sweet tooth in the slightest and am also a fan or ordering a starter...or two or three in place of a main!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

another savoury person here - although I do like to finish the evening with a Reece's peanut butter mini cup or 2. It is the only choc I eat
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote: Amber - snap - I do not have a sweet tooth in the slightest and am also a fan or ordering a starter...or two or three in place of a main!!
I do this too. My idea of heaven is beautiful canapés - preferably with champagne.

Not had those Reading Mum. I used to like the not-marzipan Mozartkugeln when I lived in Germany as a student, but someone bought me some last year and I really didn't like them any more.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now