Music as a GCSE option

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
secondarymum

Music as a GCSE option

Post by secondarymum »

My DD wants to take music as her GCSE option. Any experiences with your DCs about how challenging this is. Is it considered a soft option for universities? Is it difficult to score higher grades?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Music as a GCSE option

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It can be seen as a softer option, along the lines of drama and art, particularly for more academic degrees, despite the fact that music ability often correlates with mathematical ability. However, if she is a natural at it then this should not put her off, unless it is at the expense of a subject that she may "need" for future careers (ie make sure she is not ruling any careers out at this stage.) Music, like art and drama, can take up a disproportionate amount of time (practise and performance) and I think (?) some boards may assess some performances as part of a group (would this impact negatively on her individual grades?) Some students enjoy it because it is a break from the more academic subjects - both my boys could not wait to give it up!!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My daughter is taking both music and drama at GCSE and really enjoying both. I'm pleased she's gone with her heart and chosen subjects she's really interested in. It's all about balance, I think: she is also taking three sciences and other "harder" subjects such as Latin and History. It's sad if these arts subjects are perceived as lesser than some others; they promote different skillsets and make for a more rounded person.

As an aside, the only GCSE subject my family's experienced that I would actively discourage unless an offspring is absolutely determined, and very organised, is Art, due to the absolutely vast workload. Having said that, it's also a good subject for learning how to deal with a huge workload - and meeting deadlines.

I can't answer your question about how easy it is to get higher grades in Music, as she hasn't taken the exams yet. From our experience with her older sibling, the best way to get high grades in any subject is to work really hard!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am afraid that there still is some lingering ignorance about Music as an academic subject especially from some parents.

Both my dds took GCSE Music and are now both doing A level. I have had comments from other parents such as "Music is not really a subject" "I can't believe you let them do Music"

Over 25% of the year do GCSE Music and results are very high. Some students attempted to swop into Music but there were no more spaces left. Other students who did not do GCSE Music have returned to the fold for A level! Y13 students have a clutch of offers from Russell Group Universities in all sorts of subjects including Maths, Classics, Modern Languages, History, English, Geography so it does not seem to have got in their way.

Depending on your board the Composition is a key ingredient of a very high grade so make sure you put focus on it. I would recommend investing in Sibelius. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD is in year 10 and just started gcse music. She loves it. So far the workload hasn't been different to other subjects. They are expect to attend all the school music concerts though, but that's no bad thing.

She is studying a variety of different music. Star Wars theme, Killer Queen and Defying gravity from Wicked are included, but there's a number of pieces.

They ideally should be grade 5 standard in the instrument they are using for the performance by the time they reach the exam as that is how you get maximum marks in the performance part. DD intends to do a piano duet with one other girl for her group performance.

I think approx one quarter of the year group are doing it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That is probably part of the problem though DG - 25% of the class do it (ie it's popular) and get high grades...ergo the "lingering ignorance" of some parents might see that as being relatively easy? The fact that you can take the A level having not done the GCSE could also lead some to see it as being less difficult - however, this thread is about taking it at GCSE not A level.

Most schools probably perceive GCSE Music as different to something like Maths, Science or Latin at GCSE which is why it is often in an option block alongside Art, Drama, Technology etc I'm not saying they are right or wrong, just that it tends to be blocked alongside other traditionally non-academic subjects. It uses different skills - not everyone is a scientist, in the same way not everyone is a linguist or a musician; it offers a different experience to "chalk and talk" learning - I suspect, if a child finds it easy they find it easy and if a child finds it hard they find it hard, in the same way that some do for languages etc.

OP the old adage is never truer - choose subjects you have to/need to take first (ie Maths, English, Science...and any others that are essential for your career ideas), then choose subjects you enjoy next. You will always do better in subjects you enjoy.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect the ones who take it are the ones who really enjoy music and probably at a reasonably high level, so it goes that they are likely to do well at gcse. There are different skills from doing grade exams. In DDs case she has just done grade 5 piano (and might have just scraped a pass :roll: ) but hadn't done any grades before. However because she hasn't been doing predominately grade exam stuff, her piano teacher has covered other things like composition with her. Now the grade exam is done and dusted, (and at Moment she has no intention of ever doing another, she has hated the whole process) she has started violin :shock: with the same teacher and will be working on a piano/singing piece for the next school concert.

I think DD mentioned that the new gcse music includes dictation.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow. Which board is that? DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Daogroupie wrote:Wow. Which board is that? DG

I'd have to ask DD. I did know, but forgotten.
ETA she is now home and tells me edexcel.

I know their teacher said it's difficult, but DD has quite a good ear for that, so I'm hoping she will do ok. She has always got the sight singing for the grade exam spot on and can play by ear to quite well too.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Another yr 10 DD taking Music GCSE here. She is enjoying it and the workload seems fine. She has done grade 5 theory and is sitting grade 6 piano and grade 6 alto sax in the next couple of months. I have a slight concern that there are some girls in the class who don't have the musical background and took it thinking it was easy - DD knows who they are and has been advised to avoid any ensemble with them in it when it comes to exam time. She is working on a sax duet for the next compulsory concert.
My DD is also doing Art and the workload there is much higher - but we always knew that would be the case. She is taking 11 so having a couple of less 'chalk and talk' subjects won't do any harm.