Rio 2016

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Rio 2016

Post by doodles »

Diving with Tom and then the Men's team gymnastics tonight.

I'm painting the sitting room and dining room at the same time as watching, happens every 4 years :lol: , I can't justify watching so much tv so I paint - makes me feel better :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So frustrating they are on at the same time!! Generally people who watch diving appreciate gymnastics and vice versa! Grr!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Channel hopping is the new Olympic sport in our house tonight!

Well done Tom and Dan. They celebrated like they won the gold- good on them.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ToadMum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Very much enjoyed the Test match cricket yesterday too! What a win :)
We were out with friends all day yesterday so didn't get to watch it. I thought it was nice of Cook to declare to give Pakistan a sporting chance, though :) .
Took my youngest with family to her first cricket game at Edgbaston. Surprised by the low turnout.In the family stand in the morning but far too hot, moved to the stands with the barmy army for the atmosphere after lunch when it all changed.A great occasion.We were supporting England.But if it had been India it would have been different.Will have to wait till 2017 for the ICC Champions trophy for the next cricket when India face Pakistan at Edgbaston in their group.

Been going through all the recorded Olympic programmes this evening with my youngest dd and fast forwarding and watching the diving and now the gymnastics after going through last night and this mornings programmes to watch the swimming medals although they repeat them in different programmes.Exciting stuff.The Chinese women and men's synchronised swimmers were in a different league but very pleased for the British men.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Who could forget South African swimmer Chad Le Clos' ebullient father, Bert, from the 2012 Olympics? Nice to see that he and his wife are there in Rio to support their son again - but how sad to learn that in the meantime, both of them have been diagnosed with cancer :( .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

quasimodo wrote:Took my youngest with family to her first cricket game at Edgbaston. Surprised by the low turnout..
Are you? We love watching live cricket as a family but it has become far too expensive for a day out. I even wrote to the ECB about their pricing policy which counts over 14s as adults, making a day at a test match in the cheapest seats well over £150 for us and nearer £400 for decent ones (£80/ticket). They didn't even answer.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote:
quasimodo wrote:Took my youngest with family to her first cricket game at Edgbaston. Surprised by the low turnout..
Are you? We love watching live cricket as a family but it has become far too expensive for a day out. I even wrote to the ECB about their pricing policy which counts over 14s as adults, making a day at a test match in the cheapest seats well over £150 for us and nearer £400 for decent ones (£80/ticket). They didn't even answer.
This was for the fifth day and most people normally don't buy tickets for the fifth day as test matches don't often get to that stage so people normally lose money on tickets already purchased.Child tickets were five pounds and mine was sixteen pounds.On this occasion was great value.Real relaxation.

I am glad with the Olympics we have moved to the sports.So sad to see Louis Smith come off the pommel horse.My youngest kept saying she hadn't seen him as the men's team gymnastics were going on.She went to bed and he then appeared and came off in the middle of his routine.It was fated.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

quasimodo wrote:This was for the fifth day and most people normally don't buy tickets for the fifth day as test matches don't often get to that stage so people normally lose money on tickets already purchased.
If there is no play you get your money back ...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:
quasimodo wrote:This was for the fifth day and most people normally don't buy tickets for the fifth day as test matches don't often get to that stage so people normally lose money on tickets already purchased.
If there is no play you get your money back ...
Thank you for that, you are right. I was quoting what my brother in law was telling me. His son in law had purchased the tickets and was unable to attend.

According to the venue : "For Day 5 tickets, a full refund may be claimed only if there is no play because of adverse weather conditions or completion of the match."

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some grounds used to [still do? Like Amber I find Test Matches too expensive these days] only sell day 5 tickets on the day and then there was no refund.

This is the info from Lord's on the 2016 Sri Lanka test match:

https://www.lords.org/news/2016-2/june/ ... formation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now